[sci.military] Project Aurora

benson@colorado.crd.ge.com (Mark Benson 4-6819) (03/14/91)

From: benson@colorado.crd.ge.com (Mark Benson 4-6819)
Project Aurora has been tossed around in several publications, most
notably AW&ST (which in one of its December issue had several articles
on alleged "black"aircraft).  Aurora is supposedly a hypersonic, unmanned
replacement for the SR-71 (see alt.conspiracy for theories on why that
was retired.)  One quote they had from an "unnamed senior military source"
is that "Aurora is so black you won't hear about it for 15 years".

Many reports have been made, including the following factoids:

1.   It sounds like a Saturn V at take-off (from Tonopah, Nevada of all places)

2.   It leaves sausage shaped contrails (pulse jet / scram jet?)

3.   It is black in color (L/O technology?), and sometimes glows orange.

4.   It is  *F A S T*, estimates of up to Mach 7.

5.   Initial mission is strategic recon, possibly with a strategic bomber
     version planned.

Various "experts" interviewed stated that the material and propulsion
technology for such a vehicle have existed since the mid '70s.  As  a
computer engineer, I would think the guidance, control, and
automation technology exist in spades, at least for a recon mission.  IMHO,
I would bet on optical, IR, RF (Elint) and/or SAR package as payload.  And
I bet it played a part in the Storm...

This is somewhat similar to the M-12 version of the SR-71 which deployed
a remote controlled drone for penetration missions.  The problem was
probably the primitive state of automation at the time, as well as stability
problems of the M-12 (modified Blackbird) carrier aircraft.

Final item - sighted at Lockheed Skunk Works - a patch , with a circle and
slash superimposed over the profile of a Blackbird, with a little man
symbol right under the slash.

Maybe this is Kelly Johnson's last design...

mjb

stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown) (03/18/91)

From: emory!Dixie.Com!stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown)

benson@colorado.crd.ge.com (Mark Benson 4-6819) writes:

>This is somewhat similar to the M-12 version of the SR-71 which deployed
>a remote controlled drone for penetration missions.  The problem was
>probably the primitive state of automation at the time, as well as stability
>problems of the M-12 (modified Blackbird) carrier aircraft.

	I think you meann The A-12 here?

>Maybe this is Kelly Johnson's last design...

	Wouldn't that be something.  Kelly Was truly a genuis.  Look at his llist
	of acomplishemnts:

		P-38 Lighting
		P-80 Shooting Star
		U-2
		SR-71

	And mor i can't think of at the moment.

--
Stan Brown	P. c. Design 	404-363-2303	Ataant Ga.
(emory|gatech|uunet) rsiatl!sdba!stan				"vi forever"