[sci.military] Reading lists for the M1/M-1A1

sdeering@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (03/14/91)

From: sdeering@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

Does anyone know of any books dealing with the M1 tank, the M-1A1,
or modern tank warfare in general? Also, if anyone has the
addresses of stores that would carry books like this, please
write me or post. Thanks.

-scott deering
sdeering@athena.mit.edu

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (03/18/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
In sdeering@ATHENA.MIT.EDU writes...
>Does anyone know of any books dealing with the M1 tank, the M-1A1,
>or modern tank warfare in general? Also, if anyone has the
>addresses of stores that would carry books like this, please
>write me or post. Thanks.

For a relatively cheap and profusely-illustrated book, see:

Modern Land Combat
D. Miller and C.F. Foss
Portland House, NY 1987

There are four companion volumes on air, sea and undersea combat.

I do not have THE reference on the M1 and variants but there is a book that is
THE book to get; it cost about $70 and is slightly larger than 8.5x11 and
contains about 400 pages. I saw a copy at the Dayton AF museum or was it at a
gun collector show;  it has a simple title like the 'M1 Abrams'. It has
companion volumes on the Sherman and Patton tanks.