[sci.military] balloons, aurora

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (ITS THE IDES OF MARCH. WATCH YOUR BACK. 15-Mar-1991 0801) (03/18/91)

From: "ITS THE IDES OF MARCH. WATCH YOUR BACK.  15-Mar-1991 0801" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>

Re Aurora:
	To add to the earlier thoughts..Bill Sweetman tells an interesting story
in one of his recent Stealth books.  So the story goes part of the "cover" for
F117 was to show trained analysts, unaware of F117, fuzzy, "tourist with point
and shoot" snaps of F117.  Analysts agreed it was some sort of hypersonic a/c,
obviously secret.  They would have done this ca early '80s, just in time for
"Aurora as hypersonic craft" to leak out.  Of course, the black world is a
world of mirrors...
============
re:
Counting turbine blades.  The uncertainty can be reduced.  There are a finite
number of engines, and the approach speed is known, which implies an engine
power level/speed....
================
Walt Leipold writes, in part:
>During and after the Blitz, the British seemed to use a *lot* of barrage
>balloons around 'important' targets.  ....  How were they supposed to
>work?
	Individual balloons were moored by steel cables, which do unpleasant
	things to intruding a/c at low level.  I believe multiple balloons
	supported "nets".  Also used, i believe, over the D-Day forces off
	Normandy

>*Did* they  work, or were they just fashionable?
	No reference data to hand, but the psychological effect on pilots was
	nontrivial.  Certainly deterred low level & dive bombing attacks.

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com