[sci.military] ISAR

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (03/15/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU
What is Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR) and how does it work?
I know about SAR. In what sense is ISAR the inverse of that?

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273

patterso@ADS.COM (Tim J. Patterson) (03/18/91)

From: patterso@ADS.COM (Tim J. Patterson)
In article <1991Mar15.041324.10823@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

>From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU
>What is Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR) and how does it work?
>I know about SAR. In what sense is ISAR the inverse of that?

>-ted

In general terms while SAR uses the motion of the platform to get
samples along the aperture of interest ISAR uses the motion of the
object being imaged to be able to obtain more samples to integrate
coherently.  The two are not direct mathematical inverses but kind of
inverse ways of approaching a problem.

Tim