[sci.military] Aircraft Answers

kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mark A. Kinney) (03/13/91)

From: Mark A. Kinney <wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>

	I heard that it was supposed to be the SR-71 follow-on. It was supposed
to be hypersonic and use stealth technology. Official reports I've heard say t
that the project doesn't exist. I know this will sound somewhat political, but
I think cancelling the Blackbird was a really bone-headed move on the part off
the DoD.

	I heard on the news about a week ago that the F-14 was not going to
undergo another update. The YF-23 is the ATF version I've been seeing on every
news program about it (including something on the Financial network :) ) so I
think it's the chosen one. I hope Navy picks it up, because the FA-18 simply is
NOT capable of the long range intercept mission of the F-14. Cancelling the
Tomcat in favor of the Hornet would cut our carrier defence radius dramatically.

	The RC-111 is the recce version. It's called the Raven (thank God it
wasn't cursed with "Aardvark"), and is used by Australia as well as the US.
The EC-111 Electric Fox is the ECM version.

	sources for F-11 info: _Encyclopedia of World Military Power_, Bishop,
		for RF-111, _Concise Color Guide:Modern Combat Aircraft_ for
		EF-111.

MArk K
Mark Kinney
kinney@wku.edu

scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (03/14/91)

From: scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)
wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mark A. Kinney) writes:

|> I think cancelling the Blackbird was a really bone-headed move on the
|> part off the DoD.

I agree.  Or at least I would if I thought they didn't already have
  something to replace it.  Remember how long the F117 was around before
  we really found out about it (of even what it was called!).

|> I hope Navy picks it up, because the FA-18 simply is
|> NOT capable of the long range intercept mission of the F-14. Cancelling the
|> Tomcat in favor of the Hornet would cut our carrier defence radius
|> dramatically.

Ack!  Where'd you hear this one?  This is highly improbable.  Not only does
  the F18 not have the range or speed, it has significantly inferior radar,
  no visual acquisition system, no weapons/radar officer (GIB ... "Guy In
  Back" as somebody recently put it), and no Phoenix capability.  The best
  the Hornet has is six Sparrows, two Sidewinders, and a fuel tank.  I'm not
  even sure all the wing hardpoints carry Sparrows.

| Scott Silvey           | Ronald Reagan to surgeons in emergency ward after  |
| scott@xcf.berkeley.edu | being shot:                                        |
|                        |                                                    |
| Flames to /dev/null    |        "Please tell me you're Republicans."        |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown) (03/18/91)

From: emory!Dixie.Com!stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown)

wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mark A. Kinney) writes:

>From: Mark A. Kinney <wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>

>that the project doesn't exist. I know this will sound somewhat political, but
>I think cancelling the Blackbird was a really bone-headed move on the part off
>the DoD.

	I strongly agree.

	I wonder how many comanders wished they had anytime photo recon
	from the SR-71 in Iraq?

	I wonder if we could have gotten th mobile SCUD launchers this way?

--
Stan Brown	P. c. Design 	404-363-2303	Ataant Ga.
(emory|gatech|uunet) rsiatl!sdba!stan				"vi forever"