[sci.military] Bull's Gun, Where is it now?

pm1@ukc.ac.uk (P.Morgan) (03/13/91)

From: pm1@ukc.ac.uk (P.Morgan)

In article <1991Feb18.053125.10260@cbnews.att.com> hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) writes:

>Since Bull's giant cannon did not go to Iraq, what became of it?
>I suspect all of the laughing that was going on in the countries
>that turned Bull down has quickly died away.

     Last I heard of the 'Super gun' was a short article in the Daily Mail
under a photograph of several of the gun sections in a whare house.
     The article said they were going to be destroyed by the cumstoms men.
The article was published just before the land assult on Q8 started.
      I do not know what happened to the other bits and pieces of gun
found around europe, but I would think it will all suffer a similar fate.

                                                Philip the noisy

.

smpod@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (03/15/91)

From: smpod@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
/In hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) writes:
//
//Since Bull's giant cannon did not go to Iraq, what became of it?
//I suspect all of the laughing that was going on in the countries
//that turned Bull down has quickly died away.

According to PBS's NOVA program a 380mm prototype was tested in Iraq.

aag@compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk (03/19/91)

From: aag@compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk

I originally tried to get this message out last month
but our mailer was feeling slightly uncooperative. A
search through my files having seen Stefan's post has
relocated it. . .

In <1991Feb18.053125.10260@cbnews.att.com> the question is
asked . . . So what happened to Bull's Supergun?

A tentative answer . . .

According to the original programme, the firm
order for the 1000mm gun was placed after a
successful test firing of the 350mm. Panorama
(the BBC's premier current affairs programme)
on Monday Feb 18 (postponed from January) said
that the test 350mm had been resited and was
now pointing up the side of a hill in a blind
valley in North-western Iraq near the town of
Mosul. The gun was pointed towards Israel.
I say was with good reason. The programme had been
postponed for over a month and the satellite data
they were using to pinpoint the gun's placing was
in the public domain. I suspect that the area has
since received the attentions of the allied airforce
and it is now an ex gun in an ex blind valley.

The programme also stated that Bull had signed
contracts with Iraq for a self-propelled version
of the 350mm and a new 600mm self-propelled
howitzer. Any artillery experts care to comment
on the feasibility of these projects?

Also:

I'm hoping to be in the States this summer for a
conference. Anything interesting in the way of air
shows, displays, open days etc happening in the
Baltimore, Washington, Virginia area from July 24
onwards?

Angela

E aag@aber.cs (UK)       \S  Ms A M Gilham               \V
M aag@cs.aber.ac.uk (inet)\N  Dept of Computer Science    \O  +44
A ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs-aag\A  University College of Wales,\I  970 622449
I           (uucp)          \I  Aberyswyth, Dyfed.          \C
L                            \L  SY23 3BZ. UK