[sci.military] Carrier based A10s???!?!

as4y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alfred Todd Symonds) (03/13/91)

From: Alfred Todd Symonds <as4y+@andrew.cmu.edu>

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes....

>The reason it's not the A-111 (well, maybe A-8 or thereabouts) is that
>the USAF never voluntarily uses A; that letter is for inferior Navy
>aircraft, not glamorous USAF aircraft.  (The A-10 was built only because
>the alternative -- giving the close-air-support mission to the Army --
>was unquestionably worse.)

Just out of sheer curiousity, what would prevent the use of A10s in the
role of Marine CAS missions??  Obviously there are the problems of
saltwater and the other vagaries of carrier launchers, but is it totally
out of the question for some other reason?

After all, it would rid the USAF of an obviously useless "A" type of aircraft.

Todd
Apologies if this question seems insane.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Alfred Todd Symonds <as4y+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>Just out of sheer curiousity, what would prevent the use of A10s in the
>role of Marine CAS missions??  ...

I'm unsure how carrier-compatible the A-10 is, but otherwise, there would
be nothing much wrong with the idea on the face of it.  The Marines almost
certainly prefer their Harriers for the job, however... especially since
they, unlike most other fixed-wing aircraft, can operate from the USMC
minicarriers instead of having to use the USN's supercarriers.

>After all, it would rid the USAF of an obviously useless "A" type of aircraft.

Apart from the fact that the Army would scream -- they like the USAF having
the A-10, because it forces the USAF to fly CAS missions properly -- the
very suggestion of giving USAF aircraft to the Navy (Marine aircraft
procurement and operations being via the Navy) would be enough to kill
your career in the USAF stone cold dead. :-)
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

operator@desire.wright.edu (03/15/91)

From: operator@desire.wright.edu

>>The reason it's not the A-111 (well, maybe A-8 or thereabouts) is that
>>the USAF never voluntarily uses A; that letter is for inferior Navy
>>aircraft, not glamorous USAF aircraft.  (The A-10 was built only because
>>the alternative -- giving the close-air-support mission to the Army --
>>was unquestionably worse.)
>
> Just out of sheer curiousity, what would prevent the use of A10s in the
> role of Marine CAS missions??  Obviously there are the problems of
> saltwater and the other vagaries of carrier launchers, but is it totally
> out of the question for some other reason?

	I think that A-10's would be entirely too heavy for carrier operations.
I may be wrong about their weight but a carrier couldn't carry too many to say
the least.  By their nature as close support and attack aircraft they are very
heavily armored.  I have heard some refer to them as tanks with wings, but they
have to be because they come under so much fire.  Compared to A-6's or A-7's I
don't know how much more they might weigh, but they are very heavy.

	The Air Force may be snobbish about their planes and no one knows the
answer to the numbering question (100 series v. 15,16,etc.)  but I don't think
that they have many A (attack) aircraft because their role is not generally
considered to be close ground support.  At least they like to think of
strategic bombers and tactical fighters.

	Anyone on this Net from Fairchild Republic who lnows more about A-10
weight or possible carrier use?

Robert Mack, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (03/18/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>	I think that A-10's would be entirely too heavy for carrier operations.
>I may be wrong about their weight but a carrier couldn't carry too many to say
>the least.  By their nature as close support and attack aircraft they are very
>heavily armored.  I have heard some refer to them as tanks with wings,
but they
>have to be because they come under so much fire.  Compared to A-6's or A-7's I
>don't know how much more they might weigh, but they are very heavy.

Comparative Weights of the A-10 and USN/USMC carrier based aircraft:
A-10:  50,000 lbs max
A-6E:  60,400 lbs max
EA-6B:  58,500 lbs max
F-14A+/D:  74,348 lbs max
E-2C:  51,817 lbs max
S-3B:  47,000 lbs max
F-18A/D:  50,064 lbs max

Except for the S-3B, the A-10 would be a relative lightweight.

The A-10 would take up *lots* of storage space because its wings do not
fold.  An A-10 on the hangar deck would use up a space about 60 feet
long by 55 feet wide.  For comparison, a F-14 uses a space about 64 feet
long by 40 feet wide.  An A-6 uses a space about 60 feet long by 25 feet
wide.

CAS *is not* a mission of Naval Air Forces and therefore the A-10 is an
unnecessary aircraft on a CV or CVN.  The USMC's F-18's and AV-8B's
superbly fill the CAS role for grunts on the beach.  Adding yet another
aircraft would just create problems.

Allan
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213
"Give, expecting nothing thereof."  "Phi Kappa Theta, just the best."

dragoo@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen P. Dragoo) (03/18/91)

From: dragoo@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen P. Dragoo)
In article <1991Mar15.033854.6212@cbnews.att.com> operator@desire.wright.edu writes:
>> Just out of sheer curiousity, what would prevent the use of A10s in the
>> role of Marine CAS missions??  Obviously there are the problems of
>> saltwater and the other vagaries of carrier launchers, but is it totally
>> out of the question for some other reason?
>	I think that A-10's would be entirely too heavy for carrier operations.
>I may be wrong about their weight but a carrier couldn't carry too many to say
>the least.  By their nature as close support and attack aircraft they are very
>heavily armored.  I have heard some refer to them as tanks with wings, but they
>have to be because they come under so much fire.  Compared to A-6's or A-7's I
>don't know how much more they might weigh, but they are very heavy.
>
>	The Air Force may be snobbish about their planes and no one knows the

I'm not from Fairchild-Rep., but I do know a lot about A-10's.
Personally, weight shouldn't be a problem.  Consider this: the "never-exceed"
weight of an A-10(which is never reached, normally) is 50000lbs--roughly 25
tons.  A fully-loaded Tomcat maxes out around 70000lbs--35 tons.  Even with
the normal Air-to-Air load, it's still about 56000lbs--28 tons.
If they can carry and launch Tomcats, there should be no problem.

Granted, the USMC is hooked on the Harrier.  The Harrier is a nasty little
devil in and of itself, especially the II.  The bad thing about the A-10
is that it doesn't have any real air-to-air capability, like the Harrier.

On the other hand, instead of making a new plane to replace the A-6, how about
navalizing the A-10?  The Navy could use it on their decks and from bases,
since they do that anyway, and the USMC could also use it, since THEIR A-6's
need a supercarrier or a base also.

What do you guys think?
The Golden Dragon            dragoo@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu
Taking his flames like a man...er...dragon!
"I know this ship like th' back o' my hand....*Klonk!*"  Montgomery Scott, STV "Kroger, your pledge name is..Pinto.   Why Pinto?  *body function*Why not!?"    Bluto(future Senator Blutowsky) and Kroger, Animal House

nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby) (03/19/91)

From: nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby)
In article <1991Mar18.134123.17745@cbnews.att.com> dragoo@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen P. Dragoo) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>On the other hand, instead of making a new plane to replace the A-6, how about
>navalizing the A-10?  The Navy could use it on their decks and from bases,
>since they do that anyway, and the USMC could also use it, since THEIR A-6's
>need a supercarrier or a base also.

The BIG question would be: What added capability would be gained?
>From what was posted 2 articles or so ago, you would get less capability in
a larger package.  Look at

    Payload:
	I don't have the payload numbers handy, but the takeoff weight for
	the A6 is on the order of 14 thousand pounds heavier.
    Speed:
	THe A10 is SLOW.  That's not bad for CAS, but it creates other
	problems.
    Avionics:
	The A10 has simple avionics.  It's not all weather.  The A6 does
	better, and any new plane is likely to do very well in this regard
	if the procurement folks do it right.
    Mulit-roles:
	The A6 comes in E6 and other varieties, including tankers.
    Shipboard Stowage Space Required:
	The A6 has folding wings.

How does the A10 do better than the EXISTING A-6?  Rather than make naval
A-10's, it would be better to make more A-6's.  For a new aircraft, the
specs should improve, not get worse.

Neil Kirby