[sci.military] AC-130 STATUS

pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce) (03/14/91)

From: pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce)

On Feb 1, 1991 it was reported that a AC-130 was
shot down in Kuwait with a crew of 14 onboard.
Does anyone have more information on the status
of the crew?  After it went down there was no news
about it, which would lead me to belive it was on
a Special Ops mission.

Greg Pierce
uunet!bcstec!pierce

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (03/18/91)

From: jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham)
>From: pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce)

>On Feb 1, 1991 it was reported that a AC-130 was
>shot down in Kuwait with a crew of 14 onboard.
>Does anyone have more information on the status
>of the crew?

(read this in argh! USA Today)

The AC-130 was found by navy divers around Mar 3-7 off the coast of Saudi
 Arabia or Kuwait, forget which.  If I recall from the article correctly
the bodies of the crew and what not were not found.

Some scuttlebut has it that there are 14 MIA from 7th SF Group out of Bragg
though--that's what our SF MSG says anyway.   Hope this helps.

--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown) (03/18/91)

From: emory!Dixie.Com!stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown)

pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce) writes:

>From: pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce)

>On Feb 1, 1991 it was reported that a AC-130 was
>shot down in Kuwait with a crew of 14 onboard.
>Does anyone have more information on the status
>of the crew?  After it went down there was no news
>about it, which would lead me to belive it was on
>a Special Ops mission.

	As I recall, that was the day that the Pentagon decided to start
	enforcing the "ground rule" of no news on downed aircraft whil
	active search & rescue was in progress.

	Seems like I heard about 2-3 days later that all personel on this
	aircraft were lost.

	BTW what would a Spec' Op's force be doing on an AC-130 wgich is
	th gun platform version.  I think this is just the normal contigent
	for this aricraft counting gun servers etc.

--
Stan Brown	P. c. Design 	404-363-2303	Ataant Ga.
(emory|gatech|uunet) rsiatl!sdba!stan				"vi forever"

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (03/20/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

In article <1991Mar18.002835.22172@cbnews.att.com>, emory!Dixie.Com!stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown) writes...
>	BTW what would a Spec' Op's force be doing on an AC-130 wgich is
>	th gun platform version.  I think this is just the normal contigent
>	for this aricraft counting gun servers etc.

(At least some of) the AC-130's are operated by Special Forces units.  Some
such as that in Eglin (or Elgin) AFB in Florida.  The media has a habit of
not getting the information QUITE accurate (such as calling APC's tanks.)

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy