[sci.military] Soviet Tanks Post T-72

mullermb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Muller) (03/20/91)

From: mullermb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Muller)

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>From: Eric Andrew Morgan <em31+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>The T-80 has been determined to be follow on to the T-64, the current
>>Soviet Main Battle Tank. The T-72 is mainly exported, while the T-64 is
>>not.  A large portion of T-80 are armored with reactive armor.  Any
>>follow on tanks to the T-80 are currently unconfirmed.  It is know that
>>the Soviets are working on a new main battle tank.
>
>Sorry Eric, but I recall reading in "The Military Balance" that the T-72
>is the most numerous tank in the Soviet Army.  Also, the "T-80" per se,
>does not exist.  The T-80 is really the T-74 and the only differences
>between the T-74 and the T-72 are that the T-74 has reactive armor (now
>retrofitted to many T-72's) and a laser rangefinder.  "T-80" was a term
>created solely by the Reagan Administration in its sucessful quest to
>portray the Soviet Military to be at parity or an advantage with respect
>to our own.

   This was true in the early 80's.  The tank originally called the T-80 by the
   US is the T-74.  However, there is also a T-80 now in service that is
   based upon the T-64 rather than the the T-72/74 series.  Any of these tanks
   may be found with reactive armor, depending on the whim of the Soviets.  The
   main difference between the T-74 and the T-72 is that it has more and
   probabbly better armor, and they are built with the laser, which can be
   fitted on a T-72 if desired.  Of course, the T-72's armor is not that great,
   so even with the addition (which is not al that large), the T-74 is not
   extremely impressive.  As for the T-80, much of its automotive components
   (transmissions, suspensions, etc) are different due to the T-64 basis, and
   it also utilizes a gas turbine engine.  It still has the same 125mm gun,
   which is not that impressive due to generally poor (by western standards)
   ammunition, among other reasons.  Operationally, there is probably little
   difference between it and a T-74.

>The real truth is that most of the Red Army's equipment is
>junk and we know it just as well as the Soviets do.  If they didn't
>think that they were going to take horrendous losses due to superior
>enemy tanks and AT weapons, how come they retain over 23,000 T-54/55's
>and 14,000 T-62's?

   Whether the appropriate people know this or not may be debatable, but
   generally, the Soviet's equipment is not very impressive at all.  Of course,
   before the existance of the M-1 (and M-1A1 especially), the Soviets were a
   match (equipment wise) for US ground forces.  With M-1's and M-1A1 with all
   that glorious chobham armor, and more off road speed than previously
   imaginable, the Soviets are outclassed.  Of course, if the Army ever admits
   this, they won't be able to get more and better tanks and other stuff!

>The only reason that the Soviets need as many as
>they do is their primary tactic is to throw division after division into
>direct frontal assaults against the enemy.  I heard once that a Soviet
>tank or motor rifle division is expected by their doctrine to be combat
>effective for only two days before being totally wiped out.  Oh well, so
>much for the 10,000-odd soldiers in the division.
>
>Also, if it is "unconfirmed" whether or not there is a follow on to the
>T-74/80, how can you say that "it is *know[n]* that the Soviets are
>working on a new main battle tank"?

   There have been pictures of follow on tanks published in the west.  I saw
   some in some issue of ARMOR magazine, although I can't tell you which
   one (I read them at the library).  Of course, new does not have to mean
   significantly improved.

>Allan "I'd rather have one M1A1 then ten T-74's" Bourdius

    I don't know about ten, but the M1A1 totally outclasses the T-74; it has
    far more and better armor, is much faster off road due to power and
    superior suspension, has a much better gun, and much better fire control.

  *  Mark Muller                  Undergraduate at Purdue University        *
  *  muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu     Aeronautics & Astronautics Engineering    *