[sci.military] B-2's, F-117's, and other necessary stuff

pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu (STOCKSCHLAEDER PETER M) (03/18/91)

From: pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu (STOCKSCHLAEDER PETER M)

	Well, now that I have found about this, I find that, whenever I am
checking on my VAX account, I am here!!  Glad to say that I would like to
contribute to the fray.

	Concerning the F-117....Well, why the hell didn't they call it the
FB-117?  It seems that this is all they do - bomb militarily significant targets
but with a remarkable amount of precision.  What I'd like to know is, why was
this plane designed with only a 4,000 pound bomb load?  Is the thrust rating
of the F404 engines that bad, or is it something I'm missing?  I don't think
the latter is true (or maybe it is).  Another point to ponder - how many of
these babies did Lockheed build?  I have heard approx. 60, but a friend on my
floor says about 130.  What is the truth?

	In reference to the B-2, at this point it seems direly necessary to
build it.  With the last B-52 built (I think back in 1963, bu I'm not sure)
being about 28-29 years old, something is going to be needed soon (but in the
next ten years; I think they can last at least that long).  The B-1B was the
supposed answer, but, in this respect, I think DoD screwed up.  Had Reagan
ordered another batch of, say 350 B-1C, B-1D and B-1F (my hypothesis), the
problems that they are having now - wings, tanks, engines, ECM - would've been
solved, say, in 1986.  By not ordering more - which would've helped find the
defects in the B-1B, obviously - DoD has had to commit themselves to buying
75 or 100 (or whatever crazy number it is) B-2's.  Considering how the F-117
did in the Gulf, though, it would seem a wise choice.

	I have only glanced at the articles on AURORA, but the concept is a good
one.  If DoD can keep the F-117 secret for so long, maybe an AURORA is flying.
It is none-too-soon, though - I think the USAF dug itself a hole by retiring
all of the SR-71's.  TR-1's/U-2's can't do the job themselves; we need a plane
capable of Mach 5-6 with real-time capability.  Satellites just won't cut it.

	Anyone know anything about the F-22/F-23 project?  When's the winner to
be selected?  Will this be a competent replacement for the F-15?  What about the
loser (only in the sense that USAF won't buy it)?  Is it in the realm of
possibility that, with suitable mods, it would be a replacement for the F-14 ten
years down the road?  (With the cancellation of the F-14D, they better damn well
do it!)

	As a final tidbit - one which is sure to start some debate - I bandy
about the F-15G concept.  That is, an F-15 "WILD WEASEL."  Seems to me that the
F-22/-23 would free up 200 or so F-15A/B/C models for this purpose.  I mean, the
F-4G is an awesome plane, but it deserves a worthy successor soon.  With the
diminuation of circuitry in the '80's, certainly the F-15 could carry twice the
gear (computers, antennaes, HARM's, all that jazz) in the same space - maybe
three pods (one centerline & two wing stores) and six or eight HARM's (two on
each wing, the rest under the plane ala' F-14's with Phoenix missles).  Now, if
only we fellow VAXers can sell it to Congress & Cheney.......

	Any mail is appreciated!  Criticism is well handled, also...isn't that
what life is about?

					Peter Stockschlaeder
					University of Scranton
					PMS2@jaguar.uofs.edu

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (03/22/91)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

> From: pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu (STOCKSCHLAEDER PETER M)

> Concerning the F-117....Well, why didn't they call it the FB-117?

SAC seems to have defacto exclusive rights to designate any plane in
the "B" category.  For example, FB-111 is the SAC bomber.  The F-117A
is not assigned to SAC, so no "B".  One could argue that either an "A"
or a "B" would be an appropriate category.  In practice, the USAF does
not seem to like any plane that starts with "A".

> It seems that this is all they do - bomb militarily significant targets
> but with a remarkable amount of precision.  What I'd like to know is, why
> was this plane designed with only a 4,000 pound bomb load?

The key fact here is that the F-117A cannot carry any external arms.  This
is a constraint imposed by the Stealth specification.  The internal bomb
bay is fairly small--it is set between the engines.  The rest of the
interior of the plane is packed full of electronics, pilot, fuel tanks,
landing gear, engine, air intakes and exhaust, and a bunch of other
"airplane stuff".  About all that would fit is two large bombs, so the
bomb bay was equipped with just two bomb racks.  Rumor has it that the
F-117A can carry 5000 lbs or slightly more.

> Is the thrust rating of the F404 engines that bad, or is it something I'm
> missing?

Not really.  The F404 is the same engine that the F-18 Hornet uses, except
that the Hornet has 'burners.  The unique exhaust ducts and baffels used
to disperse engine heat do cut down on thrust a bit.  Another factor is
the high wing load--the design does not have has much wing as other planes
in its class.

> the latter is true (or maybe it is).  Another point to ponder - how many of
> these babies did Lockheed build?  I have heard approx. 60, but a friend on my
> floor says about 130.  What is the truth?

There were 59 production aircraft ordered and delivered at a rate of about
8 per year.  There may also have been prototypes.  It appears that 3 craft
were lost, but I am not sure whether they were all production models, or
a mixture of production models and prototypes.  The USAF is not required to
release any numbers, so there may be more planes.

> In reference to the B-2, at this point it seems direly necessary to
> build it.  With the last B-52 built (I think back in 1963, bu I'm not sure)
> being about 28-29 years old, something is going to be needed soon (but in
> the next ten years; I think they can last at least that long).

This has been the subject of an intense debate since the B-52 was in
prototype development!  Answers to the question at various times has
ranged from no to any/all of the following: B-58, B-70, B-1, B-2.

> The B-1B was the supposed answer, but, in this respect, I think DoD screwed
> up.  Had Reagan ordered another batch of, say 350 B-1C, B-1D and B-1F (my
> hypothesis), the problems that they are having now - wings, tanks, engines,
> ECM - would've been solved, say, in 1986.

Actually, all of these problems have been addressed.  The recent engine
fire problems are not that serious--the planes were grounded to prevent
any unnecessary loses.  The ECM system was too ambitious of a project in
the early 80's, and a new system is currently being worked on.  Even
though the current electronics might not meet specs, the B-1 is still a
very formible opponent for the USSR.  I doubt that another 350 nuclear
only bombers were needed, or would have been funded by congress.

> By not ordering more - which would've helped find the defects in the B-1B,
> obviously - DoD has had to commit themselves to buying 75 or 100 (or
> whatever crazy number it is) B-2's.  Considering how the F-117 did in the
> Gulf, though, it would seem a wise choice.

The proposed B-2 role is attacking mobile missile launchers in the Soviet
Union.  After Iraq, it appears that this mission might be far more difficult
than anyone thought.  The performance of the F-117 doesn't really translate
to the B-2.  The F-117 flys a pre-targeted precision bombing strike, whereas
the B-2 is supposed to go hunting over hostile territory.

> I have only glanced at the articles on AURORA, but the concept is a good
> one.  If DoD can keep the F-117 secret for so long, maybe an AURORA is flying.
> It is none-too-soon, though - I think the USAF dug itself a hole by retiring
> all of the SR-71's.  TR-1's/U-2's can't do the job themselves; we need a plane
> capable of Mach 5-6 with real-time capability.  Satellites just won't cut it.

> Anyone know anything about the F-22/F-23 project?  When's the winner to
> be selected?  Will this be a competent replacement for the F-15?

The advanced technology fighter program has been getting a great deal of
press lately.  The fly off is scheduled to be in March or April of this
year (last I heard).  With the expected performace, fly-by-wire, limited
stealthieness, and super-cruise, both ATF entries would be un-matched for
years.

> What about the loser (only in the sense that USAF won't buy it)?

Look at what happened to losers in the past.  The F-17 was reborn as
the F-18 hornet.  The F-107 program died.  The F-17, IMHO, did not really
match the USAF needs, and the F-16 is an excellent plane.  The F-17
deserved to lose.  The F-107 was kind of a weird plane to begin with
(it had the meat-grinder intakes above the canopy).  In the ATF program,
both planes look great on paper.  If there were buyers, I suspect that
both planes could find buyers.  Only time will tell.  In the case of
the F-20, the best plane does not always find buyers, and in the case of
the F-104, it proves that anything can happen.

> Is it in the realm of possibility that, with suitable mods, it would be a
> replacement for the F-14 ten years down the road?  (With the cancellation
> of the F-14D, they better damn well do it!)

Based on past USAF/Navy aircraft, Navy planes can be converted to USAF
use with great sucess (F-4, F-8), but USAF planes do not translate well
into carrier usage (F-111B).  It seems that Navy planes have to be designed
around the landing gear.  Since carrier space is so valuable, the best
possible planes should be available for the fleet defense role.  The Navy
will probably want a plane designed specifically for carrier fleet defense.
Anything could happen....

> As a final tidbit - one which is sure to start some debate - I bandy
> about the F-15G concept.  That is, an F-15 "WILD WEASEL."  Seems to me that
> the F-22/-23 would free up 200 or so F-15A/B/C models for this purpose.
> I mean, the F-4G is an awesome plane, but it deserves a worthy successor.

The Wild Weasels have been operating in hunter/killer pairs of recent.
CNN profiled a unit in Germany that used F-4's as the hunter, and F-16's
as the killers.  A single crew-person can handle the killer role, but
hunting requires a crew of 2, a plane that can really accelerate, and
superior manuverability.  The F-15 would appear to fit in real well.

Using the F-15s is a trade off.  The strike eagle concept has proved to
be excellent.  Perhaps converting the "surplus" F-15's to strike eagles
would be better way to use the aircraft?  That is my favorite senario.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Jeff Berkowitz) (03/22/91)

From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <1991Mar18.132743.14476@cbnews.att.com>,
	pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu (STOCKSCHLAEDER PETER M) writes:

>	Concerning the F-117....Well, why the hell didn't they call it the
>FB-117?  It seems that this is all they do - bomb militarily significant
>targets

Against Iraq, true.  In general, I believe not true.  It is not a plane
that would be used for random daytime dogfighting, but on the other hand
I think the Clancy scenario in "Red Storm Rising" is pretty reasonable.
(The first act of WWIII in that book was for a carefully timed F-117A
mission to shoot down all the Soviet AWACS planes [Mainstay]).
--
Jeff Berkowitz N6QOM	  uunet!sequent!jjb | If you can't trust the comics,
Sequent Computer Systems  jjb@sequent.com   | what can you trust? -Bullwinkle