[sci.military] X-1/2 losses

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: emory!Dixie.Com!stan@gatech.edu (Stan Brown)
>>X-1, X-2 - Loss of 4 vehicles, some crew, and one carrier aircraft
>>due to a chemical in a gasket that was explosive when in contact with LOX.
>
>	I hadn't heard of this could you tell us more about it?

The problem wasn't a "chemical", actually.  The real problem was that nobody
really appreciated that almost *any* organic material soaked in LOX is a
powerful explosive.  The LOX plumbing used gaskets made of a chemically
treated form of leather.  They finally figured this out when they had a
gasket explode while the plane containing it was still on the ground.

Even in rockets, liquid hydrogen gets all the bad press but liquid oxygen
is much more dangerous.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry