[sci.military] Armor Comments

os2285@westpoint-emh2.army.mil (Breen Steven CPT) (03/22/91)

From: Breen Steven CPT <os2285@westpoint-emh2.army.mil>
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>>Sorry Eric, but I recall reading in "The Military Balance" that the T-72
>>is the most numerous tank in the Soviet Army.  Also, the "T-80" per se,
>>does not exist.  The T-80 is really the T-74 and the only differences
>>between the T-74 and the T-72 are that the T-74 has reactive armor (now
>>retrofitted to many T-72's) and a laser rangefinder.  "T-80" was a term
>>created solely by the Reagan Administration in its sucessful quest to

 I suppose this depends on your source. The premium tank in the soviet army was
, at one point, the T-64, never the T-72. This tank has not been offered for
export, as has the T-72 in many of it's variations, and was first fielded in
what was at the time the frontline GSFG. (Group of Soviet Forces Germany)  The
T-80 does exist and sports several advancements over previous models including
a 1000 hp turbine engine, (T-64 has a 5 cyl diesel, the T-72 a 12 cyl diesel)
and suspension improvements. The T-72 represents a parallel evolution to the
T-64 from the T-62/55 as opposed to an improvemnent on it.

>/  What is the basic mission of a main battle tank and how
>/  does it relate to its main armament?   Most MBT's today

>Destruction of enemy armour is one mission of the tank.  The main mission of
>the tank is similar to the calvary of old:  to get into the enemies' rear
>areas

 In the U.S. Army the primary role of the tank is to kill enemy tanks. This is
demonstrated by the selection of the type of ammo carried on board. To the
extent that this allows for the kind of action mentioned above, so be it.
  This brings me to a point that is often confused; the role and
mission of Cavalry, or more specifically U.S. Cavalry.
  Cav, at the divisional level (one Squadron per division) in an armored or
mechanized infantry division, has the mission of providing the main body with
security in the form of a screen force, and a reconnaissance element. These
squadrons contain 2 air troops with AH-1s and OH 58s, and two ground troops
with M-3 Bradley Cavalry Fighting Vehicles. There are no tanks, and these units
by doctrine avoid "decisive engagment".
   The Corps commander owns a Cavalry Regiment (an ACR). The mission of an ACR
is to provide the Corps with a force capable of recon, security (screen, guard,
and cover) defensive operations and offense. The ACR has 4 combat squadrons, 3
ground and 1 air. The ground squadrons each contain the following; 3 troops
with M-3 CFVs AND M-1A1 tanks, one pure tank company, an artillery battery
(155mm), a headquarters troop, and usually attached, an engineer company. The
air squadron is equipped with AH-1s and OH-58s. There is also a service support
squadron containing the standard CS/CSS mix. This group can fight to provide
the commander with intel. Decisive engagement is not an issue here. Witness the
mission performed by the 2nd and 3rd ACRs for the 7th Corps in S.A.
    Finally, tank battalion organiztion. The "J" series table of organization
and equipment (TO&E) reorganized tank battalions in the late 80s. Gone is the
old CSC, the scouts, mortars, etc went to HHC. Maintenance elements are
consolidated at Bn level, and attached as the commander desires. There are 4
line (tank) companies, each with 3 platoons of 4 tanks each. Add in the
commander's and the XO's tanks, that makes for 14. Two in the headquarters tank
section makes for 58 in the Bn.

    Steven Breen
    Captain, Armor

 P.S. It's "Garry Owen, Sir", and Range 80 at Graf is now Range 117. :)