[sci.military] Aid with small arms

jacobus@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kirsten C. Jacobus) (03/13/91)

From: jacobus@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kirsten C. Jacobus)

I am an occaisional reader of sci.military, not being up on tech specs.
However, I think this would probably be the best place to ask the following
questions.

What would be good literature for information on small arms from 1930 to
present?  I need specific information including weight of bullet, weight of
charge (powder), length of barrel, etc.
I have copious information on black powder weapons of the 1800s and a good
source on weapons employed in the US/colonies from the mid-1700s to the
Civil War.

Thank you for any information.

(PS:  I might also like information on the "medium" arms of WWII to the
present, including MGs and AT weaponry.)

I have already exhausted the local libraries, they have sources, but none
of them have the specs that I want.

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (03/26/91)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>

Resubmission: my original seems to have been lost in the mail and never
appeared in the Digest:

From: jacobus@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kirsten C. Jacobus)
>What would be good literature for information on small arms from 1930 to
>present?  I need specific information including weight of bullet, weight of
>charge (powder), length of barrel, etc.
>I have copious information on black powder weapons of the 1800s and a good
>source on weapons employed in the US/colonies from the mid-1700s to the
>Civil War.

I recommend two currently-available references:

The 12th (1982) edition of Small Arms of the World by E. C. Ezell. Published by
Stackpole, this is a standard reference most libraries have, or you can get
via interlibrary loan.  It's also available right now from Barnes & Noble
mail order for $14.95, a bargain price.  I just bought a copy to supplement
my two earlier editions. I wonder if its availability at a discount
means there is a 13th edition coming out? One would be due by now...

Jane's Infantry Weapons. This is a massive annual publication, one of
the "Jane's" series of books on military hardware. Many libraries have
these but as non-circulating references, so I don't know how likely it
may be that you can get one on interlibrary loan. Maybe some libraries
would loan their older editions, keeping the latest in-house? If you
want to buy a copy, remaindered issues have been sold for several years
by a mail-order book/video/music dealer that recently changed its name
to "Postings". They listed the 1988-89 edition at $49.95 in a recent
catalog. The stock # is "H00578". Their number is 800-262-6604 (no
non-800 number given except a FAX # of 614-777-1470).

The first of these has more historical info, including field-stripping
instructions, while the Jane's book is more oriented toward current
equipment and as an identification guide.

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil