[sci.military] Naval use of A-10's

jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (03/20/91)

From: jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)

 I've followed the thread about why the Navy doesn't or shouldn't
use A-10's on their carriers. Most of the arguments I've seen make
sense, and I agree that CAS isn't the mission of the Navy, but I
wonder if perhaps the A-10's might find an alternate role in the
Navy as anti-ship weapons.

 I first noticed this concept when Tom Clancy played with it in
_The Hunt For red October_, and while I realize that Clancy isn't
the most accurate source, he does do his homework with respect
to military hardware, and the basic idea seems like it just might
work. The A-10's nap-of-the-earth flying ability would be ideal
for skimming the seas undetected by radar, and I'd imagine that
its tank-killing cannon could play havoc with the lightly armored
destroyers and frigates of today.

 So would this actually be a feasible concept? I can think of a
few reasons why it might not be, such as an anti-ship missile
doing the job more safely and cheaply than an A-10. But has anyone
ever seriously looked into the possibilities of using A-10's
against small vessels? I'd be interested to hear what people think
about it, whether it's a good idea or not and why.
--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

tkogoma%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Gym Z. Quirk) (03/22/91)

From: tkogoma%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Gym Z. Quirk)
In article <1991Mar20.034011.1839@cbnews.att.com> jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
> I first noticed this concept when Tom Clancy played with it in
>_The Hunt For red October_, and while I realize that Clancy isn't
>the most accurate source, he does do his homework with respect
>to military hardware, and the basic idea seems like it just might
>work. The A-10's nap-of-the-earth flying ability would be ideal
>for skimming the seas undetected by radar, and I'd imagine that
>its tank-killing cannon could play havoc with the lightly armored
>destroyers and frigates of today.
>
> So would this actually be a feasible concept? I can think of a
>few reasons why it might not be, such as an anti-ship missile
>doing the job more safely and cheaply than an A-10. But has anyone
>ever seriously looked into the possibilities of using A-10's
>against small vessels? I'd be interested to hear what people think
>about it, whether it's a good idea or not and why.

Well, the problem with this is what happens *after* your flight of
four A-10s bushwhack a soviet surface action group?  You wreck a
few tin cans and cripple a cruiser or two with you rockeye cluster
bombs and 30mm cannon, then the rest of the task force sends you to
the bottom with SAMs and AAA fire.  You're much too slow to even
*think* of getting out of SAM range before they send them up your
tailpipes, and you armor can't protect you forever.  Esp. from radar
guided 100mm AAA.

Even with the standoff weapons availible to the A-10, you have to fly
into enemy SAM range.

[Note: Most of my 'experience' has been from playing the Harpoon
computer game.  The last time I tried sending 6 F-16s outfitted for
anti-surface work against three soviet DDGs, I managed to sink one,
damage another, and come back with one aircraft...{*sigh*}]

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk  net.terrorist (reformed) |  This space
tkogoma@triton.unm.edu                       | intentionally

scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (03/22/91)

From: scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)
jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
|> The A-10's nap-of-the-earth flying ability would be ideal
|> for skimming the seas undetected by radar,

Not any better than that of a Harpoon or Tomahawk.  Supposedly these
  missiles could get shot down rather routinely in a war (that's why
  you have to fire a lot of them at a target to overload it's defenses).
  Also the A-10 has a MUCH bigger radar cross-section than an anti-ship
  missile.  There aren't too many trees or hills to hide behind out there
  over the water.  Moreover, the A-10 would not be much faster than the
  ship it was attempting to attack ;^)  That would give the target vessel
  much more time to react to a "sneak" attack.  In fact, the crew would
  probably get bored waiting for the Warthogs to get from max detection
  range to maximum SAM range.

Now, if you were realistic, you would load up the A-10 with Harpoons to
  give them some standoff range.  But why?  Why not just use the A-6's
  and FA-18's which are already made to handle this?

|> and I'd imagine that
|> its tank-killing cannon could play havoc with the lightly armored
|> destroyers and frigates of today.

There are only 4 modern naval ships I would think the A-10's cannon
  would have trouble slicing up ... the Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, and
  New Jersey.  That's assuming the battle-wagons didn't bother shooting
  down the poor lumbering Warthogs when they were about 100nm's away.
  And THAT's assuming the carrier in the group didn't launch interceptors
  to shoot them down when they were about 200nm's away (Soviets are
  building "super"carriers similar to ours now-a-days).  In order for the
  A-10 to hit something with that 30mm, it has to be about 1nm from the
  target.  At that point, the A-10 would also be in range of a lot of
  other guns (big ones and little ones) pointing in the other direction.
  Too dangerous.

|>  So would this actually be a feasible concept?

What, for naval target practice?  Sure it's feasible.

| Scott Silvey           | Ronald Reagan to surgeons in emergency ward after  |
| scott@xcf.berkeley.edu | being shot:                                        |
|                        |                                                    |
| Flames to /dev/null    |        "Please tell me you're Republicans."        |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

norton@manta.nosc.mil (Scott Norton) (03/25/91)

From: norton@manta.nosc.mil (Scott Norton)

	[ redudant quoted text deleted --CDR ]

I had a chance to defend a missile cruiser against a flight of
A-10's a number of years ago.  They were not hard to detect (note
that an A-10 and a fishing boat are about the same size), and were
slow enough that we got a number of missile shots at them.

As to the lethality of the 30mm gun, I would not overestimate it.
It will make many many 30mm holes in the ship.  Now its a matter
of chance whether these holes are in a radar transmitter or a
coffee maker.  I recall an item from history, about how US
destroyers, in the battle of Savo Island in WW II, escaped from
a superior force of Japanese cruisers.  The cruisers, expecting
other heavies as opponents, had fired armor-piercing shells, which
punched through both sides of the destroyers without exploding.

Of course, if the A-10 shot a Maverick, he could do substantial
damage.  But other faster aircraft can do that too.

One more consideration is that the A-10 doesn't have the avionics
to find ships at sea.

LT Scott A. Norton, USN  <norton@NOSC>MIL>

frost%watop.nosc.mil@nosc.mil (Richard Frost) (03/26/91)

From: frost%watop.nosc.mil@nosc.mil (Richard Frost)

scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) writes:
>  Also the A-10 has a MUCH bigger radar cross-section than an anti-ship
>  missile ...

... and even larger infrared signature.  The real threat is a sea-skimming,
air-breathing cruise missile like the Exocet.  Under ideal conditions
(for the ship), such a weapon will impact within 20 seconds from its
maximum theoretical detection range.  Bright (10KWatt+/SRad) threats like
        ^^^^^^^^^^^
warplanes and solid rockets are easy to deal with by comparison.
--
Richard Frost				Naval Ocean Systems Center
frost@watop.nosc.mil			voice: 619-553-6960

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/27/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

>From: norton@manta.nosc.mil (Scott Norton)
>One more consideration is that the A-10 doesn't have the avionics
>to find ships at sea.

Ooh! Ooh! (Hand waving frantically over head)  Let me!

Get the most current possible positioning reports from satellites or
whatever, download the position report to the A-10s, let them use
GPSS or whatever to amble (they can't very well zip, can they?) on
over to make loud noises.  Voila!  *Off-board* avionics!

Doesn't solve the other problems, though.  (Might be useful against
troop carriers...but then, who else goes in big for amphibious
landings?  The Army doesn't dislike the Marines *that* much!)

	[ I suspect you just handwaved the hard parts,
	  but I'll let the readers suggest why.  I'd suggest
	  a ship can go a *long* way between satellite overflights.
	  I don't think anyone's ever suggested that amphibious
	  landings are thinkable without complete air superiority.
	  -- CDR]