[sci.military] WW2 German warships

adrian@uunet.UU.NET (Adrian Hurt) (05/12/89)

From: Adrian Hurt <mcvax!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian@uunet.UU.NET>

In article <6328@cbnews.ATT.COM> goofy!Apple.COM!livesey@apple.com (John Livesey) writes:

>				    Finessing the issue of rebuilding an
>all-purpose surface Navy, they started with three heavily armoured
>cruisers, the Graf Spees (often called pocket battleships) which were
>intended for commerce interdiction, an activity which requires an
>extensive network of supply ships, and warships which are either fast
>enough to evade cruisers, or strong enough to defeat them.  Then they
>bult a class of two small battleships, the Scharnhorsts.  Finally, they
>started two heavy battleships, the Bismarks.

The Graf Spee type were first classed by the Germans as "Panzerschiff"
(armoured ship). Later they were redesignated "heavy cruisers". The
Versailles Navy Treaty limited the Germans to a maximum ship displacement
of 10000 tons, which these ships were supposed to comply with. In fact they
did not; they were 13000 tons. One of them, the "Deutschland", had a different
configuration from the others; its control tower was different, more like that
of some other cruisers, and its catapult was in front of the funnel. Hitler
later renamed it "Lutzow" because he didn't want to risk the Allies getting
the propaganda of sinking Deutschland. The Graf Spee was sunk; the other two
went in for refits, which involved giving them more angled bows, and the
"Admiral Scheer" got a new control tower more like that of the "Lutzow".
(Source: "Pocket Battleship" by Theodor Krancke - the captain of the "Scheer".)

>It turned out in practice that the pocket battleships were neither fast
>enough to outrun British cruisers, nor strong enough to defeat pairs of
>them.

They were designed to have a high cruising speed, to enable them to strike,
then get out of the area. Few ships could maintain the same speed as them
over a long distance. As for the cruisers, one account I've heard asks why
the "Graf Spee" didn't try to move away from the British ships. They would
have outrun her, but she would have kept at long range for more time. This
would have been significant as her 11" guns easily outranged the "Exeter's"
8" guns, never mind the other ships' 6" guns.

[mod.note:  I'll submit that to do so, Graf Spee would have been forced to
leave her fore turret wooded, losing half her 11" firepower.  Three
guns don't make for much shooting accuracy.  - Bill ]

>Scharnhorsts were not fast enough to outrun the WWI era battle cruisers
>or the British George V fast battleships

In fact they were. In the Battle of North Cape, "Scharnhorst" had almost got
away when a 14" shell damaged her engines.

>It has always seemed to me that the German Navy chose the strategy
>that had the highest risk and the lowest payoff.   Comments?

At first, the German Navy was headed by Grand Admiral Raeder, who might very
well have done some of those things. But after a battle near Russia involving
the "Lutzow", the "Hipper" and some smaller ships vs. some British ships led
by the "Sheffield", none of which had anything bigger than 6" guns, things
changed. During that action, the "Lutzow" lurked in the background and might
as well not have been there, and the "Hipper" got rammed by a British
destroyer. Hitler went into one of his rages, declared surface ships useless,
sacked Raeder and replaced him with Doenitz, who was much more a U-boat man.
Thereafter, the surface ships got very little priority.

(Disclaimer: I may have details on that last section wrong, as I'm trying to
quote from memory. I don't have any sources available at the moment. But I do
have "Pocket Battleship", so if anyone wants to ask me about the "Scheer", and
in particular about her voyage which included the sinking of "Jervis Bay", do
so.)

 "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (03/28/91)

From: adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt)

May I widen the discussion a little?

What did the Germans call the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau?  For comparison,
what the Allies called "pocket battleships", the Germans called "Panzerschiffe"
- literally, "armoured ships".  And in the book "Pocket Battleship" by Theodor
Krancke and H. J. Brennecke, the Admiral Scheer (one of these ships) is always
referred to as a "heavy cruiser" (except for a few quotes of what some British
people said).  Krancke was the commander of the Admiral Scheer, and Brennecke
one of its officers, so they should know what they were talking about.
(Although perhaps the translator didn't).

Also, where did the term "E-boat" come from?  The German word for their motor
torpedo boat was "Schnellboot", or "S-Boot" for short.

Please reply by email, to save the moderator unnecessary effort - if there is
enough interest, I'll post a single follow-up myself.  [ Thank you --CDR]