[sci.military] Random thoughts on Ships

pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu (03/27/91)

From: pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu

	In reference to my first post (F-117's, B-2's....), I'd like to say
thanks for helping to more fully inform an somewhat ignorant person (i.e., me).
Now, down to the dirty work....

	A few articles have been posted concerning converting aircraft carriers
(spec. the Forrestals and Kitty Hawks) to nuclear.  I tend to believe that this
would be (a) prohibitively expensive, and (b) patently ignorant!  Not to put
eight good ships down, but the Forrestals will be some 40 years old and the
Kitty Hawks approx. 30 this decade.  Obviously, they have quite a few good
years left in them; however, converting to nuclear power would probably cost as
much as a new Nimitz - $4-5 billion each (not counting the number of nuke
technicians needed to keep the plant up).  Besides, DoD is spending money on
SLEP's for all of 'em, and this takes 28-36 months itself.

	Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
launched.  Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?  Also, did they
retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have to do a few mods from
the Ticonderogas (i.e., is it the same, or is it different?  Enquiring minds
want to know.)

	I've also seen ads in _Proceedings_ by GE re: the Seawolf.  Has anyone
given consideration to giving it a stretch and making it a combination attack
sub/SSBN?  Ian Tyler/Taylor (can't remember which) in _WWIII: Rage of Battle_
(yeah, I read these things - sorry :-) suggests it, as does _Jane's_, though
in a more low-key way.  I'd think 8-10 Tridents would be good (a good
replacement for the Ben Franklins (right class?), methinks.)

	One last question: anyone know of any company that makes 1/350 scale
models of ships besides Tamiya?  Is there a way to get product catalogs from
any of the manufacturers, also (Testors/Italieri, Tamiya, etc.)?  I'd
appreciate hearing from anyone with such info (Scranton has lousy hobby shops!)
Thanks a lot!

--
Peter Stockschlaeder
University of Scranton (PA)

v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (03/27/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

In article <1991Mar27.051326.22591@amd.com>, pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu writes...
>	Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
>launched.  Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?  Also, did they
>retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have to do a few mods from
>the Ticonderogas (i.e., is it the same, or is it different?  Enquiring minds

According to MODERN NAVAL COMBAT (and I believe JANE'S FIGHTING SHIPS) they
are going to build 29 Burke's of the current design and then 31 of an
improved design with a helicopter hanger replacing the pad the current design
has.

It uses the SPY-1D Aegis system.  This had slightly reduced capability from the
A/B versions of the Ticonderoga's.  It also carries 90 missiles in VLS launchers
compared to 122 in the Tico's.  It wasn't a retrofit, it was part of the
design.  The radar panels are mounted facing the following way:

			    \       /
			     \     /
			      \   /
		                *  - ship
			       / \
			      /   \
                             /     \

On the Tico's, they face straight ahead/back and to the sides.

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (03/27/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

> ... but the Forrestals will be some 40 years old and the Kitty Hawks
> approx. 30 this decade.  Obviously, they have quite a few good years
> left in them...

USS FORRESTAL was commissioned on 1 Oct 1955; she is now 36 years old.
The FORRESTAL underwent the SLEP (Ship Life Extension Program) which
would add another 15 years to FORRESTAL's life.

USS KITTY HAWK was commissioned on 29 Apr 1961, so that makes her 30
years old.  The KITTY HAWK is expected to complete her SLEP in February,
1991.

> Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
> launched. Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?

	Name               Laid Down    Launched   Commissioned Status
---------------------     -----------  ----------- ------------ ------
DDG 51  ARLEIGH BURKE      6 Dec 1988  16 Sep 1989   Feb 1991   Bldg.
DDG 52  JOHN BARRY        26 Feb 1990     Mar 1991   Sep 1991   Bldg.
DDG 53  JOHN PAUL JONES   14 Aug 1990     Jul 1991   Feb 1993   Bldg.
DDG 54  CURTIS WILBUR        Feb 1991     Jan 1992   Jul 1993   Bldg.
DDG 55  STOUT                Jul 1991     Jul 1992   Oct 1993   Bldg.
DDG 56  JOHN S McCAIN        Aug 1991     Aug 1992   Jan 1994   Bldg.
DDG 57  MITSCHER             Jan 1992     Jan 1993   Apr 1994   Bldg.
DDG 58  LABOON               Jul 1992     Apr 1993   Jul 1994   Bldg.
DDG 59-63                  Authorized FY 1990 program
DDG 64-68                  Authorized FY 1991 program

> Also, did they retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have
> to do a few mods from the Ticonderogas (i.e., is it the same, or is
> it different?

The TICONDEROGA class guided missile cruisers have Aegis Mk 7 multi-target
tracking with Mk 99 MFCS which includes 4 Mk 80 illuminator directors.

The ARLEIGH BURKE class guided missile destroyers have Aegis multi-target
tracking with Mk 99 MFCS which includes 3 Mk 80 illuminators.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ships 1990-91

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (03/28/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

In article <1991Mar27.051326.22591@amd.com> pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu writes:

>	Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
>launched.  Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?

Apparently, 8 keels have been laid for DDG-51 (ARLEIGH BURKE) class
destroyers.  Their names are, respectively, AB, BARRY, JOHN PAUL JONES,
CURTIS WILBUR, STOUT, JOHN S. McCAIN, MITSCHER, and LABOON.

>Also, did they
>retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have to do a few mods from
>the Ticonderogas (i.e., is it the same, or is it different?  Enquiring minds
>want to know.)

Not sure, though the configuration is different than the SPY-1 aboard
the TICONDEROGAs (i.e., instead of four orthogonal phased arrays which
are parallel or perpendicular to the midline, the ARLEIGH BURKE's are
rotated 45 degrees).  Also, they look smaller. Five'll get you ten that
the guys back east will call it a SPY-2... :-)

>	I've also seen ads in _Proceedings_ by GE re: the Seawolf.  Has anyone
>given consideration to giving it a stretch and making it a combination attack
>sub/SSBN?

The problem with this is getting it by the Soviets.  Building a new SSBN
would drive the Kremlin apeshit -- especially one with an ongoing procurement
cycle like the SEAWOLF.  Besides, such an action would be anathema to the
mission of Submariners.  Attack boats have a particular tasking, while the
boomers have an entirely different one.  What you'd end up with is something
which can do everything poorly instead of a boat which can do one mission
exceedingly well (sound familiar?).  Finally, the SEAWOLF's already expensive
enough without adding "extras," and redesigning what we've got.  At a recent
meeting of the Naval Submarine League, when the SEAWOLF's two-billion-dollar-
plus price tag was mentioned, the attendees (comprised mostly of Submariners of
yore -- WWII, Korea, etc.) collectively gasped....

>I'd think 8-10 Tridents would be good (a good
>replacement for the Ben Franklins (right class?), methinks.)

Then you'd need twice as many, since the LAFAYETTEs (SSBN 616 class) and
the BENJAMIN FRANKLINS (SSBN 640 class) carry 16 or more missiles each.
Rather than compromise the security of our SSBN force, it would be best
to leave the attack boats (and future attack boats) alone -- they'll have
a formidable task, especially once the STURGEONs are retired.

-shane

DWN102@psuvm.psu.edu (03/28/91)

From: DWN102@psuvm.psu.edu

In article <1991Mar27.051326.22591@amd.com>, pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu says:
>        A few articles have been posted concerning converting aircraft carriers
>(spec. the Forrestals and Kitty Hawks) to nuclear.  I tend to believe that this
>would be (a) prohibitively expensive, and (b) patently ignorant!

   Correct, it would make a lot more sense to build something new and get
50 years than to retrofit and get 15 years.

>        Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
>launched.  Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?  Also, did they
>retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have to do a few mods from
>the Ticonderogas (i.e., is it the same, or is it different?  Enquiring minds

   The last I heard was 29 total, however this is due to change with the year-
ly budget nightmare in Congress.  The ships are fitted with an Aegis variant,
the SPY-1D, which I believe has a faster processor on it.

>        I've also seen ads in _Proceedings_ by GE re: the Seawolf.  Has anyone
>given consideration to giving it a stretch and making it a combination attack
>sub/SSBN?

  Why?, the Ohio and Seawolf are two completely different submarines.  First
of all, I don't think you could fit a Trident vertically into a Seawolf.  Sec-
ondly, one of the reasons for the Seawolf was to have room for additional arma-
ments (Tomahawks, Harpoons, Mk 48s).  Putting a few Tridents on would get rid
of that extra room.  I also believe that we are running up to our limit in the
# of SLBMs allowed by SALT II.  I believe that is why the Ohio class is winding
down in production.
  Once the Sturgeon (SSN-637) class begins to retire in the next several years,
we will be left with a shortage of SSNs.  I suppose I could ramble on for a
couple more paragraphs, but I hope you see the point.  Simply put, ships do
best the job they were designed for.  Putting Tridents into a Seawolf would be
like converting an Ohio to a SSN.  An 18,700 ton SSN, imagine that!
  I hope that this has been some help.

[ Also, Boomers and Hunters have very different missions - Boomers are
 supposed to hide and keep quiet, Hunters are more aggressive. --CDR]

David Bancroft
dwn102@psuvm.psu.edu
Senior - Electrical Engineering (soon to be working on BSY-2.  Cool!)

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu (03/29/91)

From: alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu

pms2@jaguar.uofs.edu writes:
>	Just saw an ad in _USNI Proceedings_ saying that the Arleigh Burke was
>launched.  Anyone know how many of these are going to be built?  Also, did they
>retrofit the Aegis system onto these, or did they have to do a few mods from
>the Ticonderogas

from what I have seen, the version of the Aegis system uses the SPY-1D radar,
which has been upgraded from the original version in several key ways to make
it easier to fit onto smaller ships...I saw something like 30-35 will be built
before the end of the century...BTW, it is the first all steel superstructure
ship to be built by the Navy in a long time, and is probably what we could
call 1st generation Stealth ship.  It's sides are sloped, there are IR
suppression devices on the exhaust stacks, and there is a minimum of equipment
on the decks and hull.  It is a very clean design...

-alfalfa
Corey Lawson, UW
alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu