[sci.military] Scharnhorst and Gneisenau

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) (03/25/91)

From: "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>

>In article <1991Mar22.045134.24861@cbnews.att.com> (Craig E. Ward) writes
>>The German battleships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst...
>I've noticed this a couple of times.  Everything I've read previous to your
>postings has classed these ships as "cruisers" or "battlecruisers."
	[ 9 redundant quoted lines deleted - PLEASE watch your
	  quoting, folks! -- CDR]

"Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II" lists Scharnhorst and
 Gneisenau as German Battleships with the following:
   Armour: (unofficial)
      12"-13" Belt amidships,
        3"-4" ends,
      12" Turrets.
      6" Decks
 I wouldn't want to encounter plunging fire from either the "K.G. V"
class or the "Iowa"s  with that thin skin, but I seem to remember
that they followed the philosophy of "fight or flee" command decisions;
namely if you can't lick, run like hell.  An estimated 29 speed would
allow them to run from the K.G. V's (designed for 27 knots), the "Nelson"
class (23 knots), and the "North Carolina"s ("over 27 knots").
   When you compare them to the ships they COULDN'T out run you get
a clear picture of when they were designed.
   The "Richelieu" class was designed for 30 knots (and reached 32 in
trials).  The "Iowas" were designed for 33 knots (acheived 35, [probably
when they were looking for carriers off Leyte?]).
   Once again, the battlecruiser is outmoded before it is really ready
for service.  The United States tried to correct this with the "Alaska"s
(rated at 33 knots)  but that speed was obtained by having TWO INCH !!
(sorry but, Lordy, what some people will do in wartime) deck armour!
   BTW: Jane's doesn't list ANY German ships as battlescruisers, do any
of the later versions make this destinction?

--
  Larry W. Jewell           direct replies to  JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU
"...before these weapons of the gods you must have seen how the proudest

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (03/25/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)
I generally discourage followups on 50YA to sci.military,  but this is a
technological question, so I guess it fits.

In article <1991Mar23.061805.5362@amd.com> cew@ISI.EDU (Craig E. Ward) writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.045134.24861@cbnews.att.com> you write:
>>The German battleships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst...
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^
>I've noticed this a couple of times.  Everything I've read previous to your
>postings has classed these ships as "cruisers" or "battlecruisers."

    A few people have enquired as to my referring the the German ships
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau as battleships, rather than battlecruisers.
There are certainly many references using the latter term for them, but
others, which I consider more authoritative, term them battleships.  From
what I gather, "the battleship" camp seems to predominate, especially in
recent publications.

    Battlecruisers were conceived just prior to WWI by Lord Fisher of the
British Admiralty.  He envisioned a ship armed as a battleship, but faster
(near 30 knots, at a time when BB's made only 18-21 knots), so as to be
able to outrun enemy BB's and catch and destroy the enemy cruiser (scout)
force.  The extra speed meant sacrificing the weight of armor, so
battlecruisers were fragile.

    This pattern was followed by Britain and the US (and Japan, in
the Kongo class), but not by Germany, which chose instead to accept
a somewhat smaller caliber of gun to maintain better protection, but armor
was still much weaker than that of contemporary German BB's.

    WWI showed that the German scheme worked better; several British
battlecruisers exploded after being hit.  Britain abandoned battlecruisers
after HMS Hood, and the US cancelled plans for the Lexington class (though
this was also helped by the Washington Treaty).

    Which brings us to Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.  At 31 kts, they, too,
were faster than contemporary battleships.  Their armament was light, but
this owes much to political requirements (Hitler wished to avoid
angering Britain by mounting 15" guns, and 11" guns from the panzerschiffe
construction were available without delay) as to limited displacement
available).  While the ships were weak on deck armor, they were not
excessively so; and their vertical protection (side armor, turrets,
barbettes, etc) were in the same class as any battleship of the period,
including the Bismarcks.  Hence, I don't feel these ships should be
considered battlecruisers; instead, they should be seen as an attempt
at a capital ship by a nation under strong political pressure to avoid
entering a naval arms race.

    Germany never officially termed them anything but battleships;
likewise, the French classed their Dunkerque class (which similarly
adopted smaller-caliber guns for speed) as "batiments de ligne", i.e.
battleships.  On this basis alone, I side with the camp which continues
use this term.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
		flexibility of assembly language.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)
>    WWI showed that the German scheme worked better; several British
>battlecruisers exploded after being hit...

However, the statistical sample here is very small, and it is difficult
to decide how much of this was the result of battlecruisers being used
improperly, notably Beatty at Jutland leading his battlecruiser force
into a pitched battle with comparable or superior vessels (something
they were definitely not designed for).  When used for their intended
purposes -- scouting, and beating up on cruisers and such -- they were
fairly successful, as in the Battle of the Falklands.  The crucial rule
was to remain out of range of heavy guns.

One can argue, mind you, that battlecruisers were still basically an
aberration:  once the opposition too started using battlecruisers
rather than cruisers for scouting, it became very difficult to do the
assigned missions without risking heavy-gun engagements.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) (03/27/91)

From: plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley)

In article <1991Mar25.064930.29465@amd.com> JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) writes:
>   Once again, the battlecruiser is outmoded before it is really ready
>for service.  The United States tried to correct this with the "Alaska"s
>(rated at 33 knots)  but that speed was obtained by having TWO INCH !!
>(sorry but, Lordy, what some people will do in wartime) deck armour!

The Alaska class was not intended as a battle unit, but rather as a
cruiser killer and super cruiser (i.e., a ship that can easily defend
shipping against enemy cruisers by eliminating them, and one that can
raid enemy shipping regardless of enemy cruiser defense).  Remember
that, when designed, it was not at all obvious that aircraft would
take these traditional cruiser roles.  When the ships were finally
completed, they therefore had no real function.

The deck armor was more like 3-3.7" armored deck, with a 1.5" upper
deck.  This was not designed to face battleship fire, or its own fire
for that matter; the ship was designed to face enemy heavy cruisers,
and that's what the deck armor was for.

The Alaska class was not comparable in intention to the Scharnhorst
class, but rather to the "pocket battleships" (which the Germans
simply called "armored ships").  Consider the Alaska as the Graf
Spee done right, and think what it would have done off Montevideo!

DHT

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (03/27/91)

From: silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman)

	[I had to trim the quote on this one too! :-( --CDR]

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>However, the statistical sample here is very small, and it is difficult
>to decide how much of this was the result of battlecruisers being used
>improperly, notably Beatty at Jutland leading his battlecruiser force
>into a pitched battle with comparable or superior vessels

A major factor in the loss of the British BCs at Jutland was there extremely
poor protection against magazine fire.  The doors to the magazines were
left open during firing, thus an explosion in either the turret of barbette
could travel down the ammunition hoist and cause the magazine to detonate.
(I think that the German powder either was less prone to being set off
by accident, or they stored it better.)  The Germans kept the doors closed,
having learned their lesson when they nearly lost a BC at dogger bank to
a magazine explosion.  I think that they could also flood the magazines
in less time than the British.  Note that the British almost lost another
of Beatties ships, it was saved only by flooding the magazine in the nick
of time.  I'm not sure where Invincible was hit, but both of Beatties ships
were sunk due to turret/barbette hits.  Note that the Germans did suffer
severe damage as well, Vann der Tann lost all of her guns (mostly due to
non-penetrating hits), Seydlitz took on so much water that she ran
agground in her home port, and Lutzow had to be scuttled after the battle.

ami silberman - janitor of lunacy

Andrew.Stevens@prg.oxford.ac.uk (Andrew Stevens) (03/28/91)

From: Andrew Stevens <Andrew.Stevens@prg.oxford.ac.uk>

plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) writes:
>The Alaska class was not comparable in intention to the Scharnhorst
>class, but rather to the "pocket battleships" (which the Germans
>simply called "armored ships").  Consider the Alaska as the Graf
>Spee done right, and think what it would have done off Montevideo!

I would have to disagree with this on two points.

Firstly, it is not at all clear that the Graf Spee performed badly at
the river Plate.  Fighting performance was seriously hampered by the
lousy Germand shells of the time, and speed was badly impaired by a
fouled bottom.  Even then, the decisive factor in the Captain's decision
to scuttle was mis-information from British intelligence that persuaded
him the original force of three light cruisers had been reinforced by
the heavy cruiser ``Cumberland''.

Secondly, all the stuff I've read about Scharnhorst and Gneisenau
suggests that the original design intent was precisely PanzerSchiffe
``done right''.  I.e. designed without even the pretence of remaining
within the 10,000 ton displacement ceiling imposed by treaty.

The ships were however (even in Germany) considered something of a
mis-design.  Their size meant meant that it was not possible to use the
Diesel power-plant that gave the Panzerschiffe the endurance necessary
for the commerce-raider role.  Simultaneously, their effectiveness as
battleships was very limited due to the non-availability (at design
time) of any main battery heavier than that used in the Panzershiff
design.

Indeed, it is interesting to note that WW.II German heavy warships were
in general rather poorly designed in comparison with British or American
ships of similar vintage.  As well as lacking a really large calibre gun
(until the end of the 30's) German designs lacked a lot of refinements
introduced in the inter-war years:

o Multi-purpose secondary batteries obviating the need for
  a separate battery of heavy A.A. armament.

o Selective ``all or nothing'' armouring

The Bismarck was thus barely (if at all) more capable than the
(significantly smaller) British King George V class, and U.S.  ships
like the Alabama. The (abandoned) ``Graf Zeppelin'' aircraft carrier
designs were, by all accounts, a complete disaster.

--
Andrew Stevens
Programmming Research Group       JANET: Andrew.Stevens@uk.ac.oxford.prg

R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU (03/29/91)

From: R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU

The flight of the Scarnhorst and Gneisenau from Brest up the English
channel is beautifully described in a book called " Fiasco ". I forget
the author but a title trace on any library's computer must get you to
the book.

Further I would like to add that when these two ships were built the
German navy never had any ambitions of challenging the Royal Navy or
launching a naval attack on Britain. In keeping with the tradition of
the Graf Spee I think these ships were designed mainly for commerce
raiding and swift hit and run attacks against convoys and light naval
forces.

In " The rise and fall of the third reich "  W Shirer  describes how the
German navy embarked on a 10 year grand plan to build up a strong navy.
This would have been accomplished by 1945. Admiral Raeder met Hitler
before the invasion of Poland and explained the need to delay WWII
till the German Navy was strong enough. But the landlocked mind of
Hitler would'nt agree and the invasion of Britain " Operation
SeaLion "  as given up even before it started, as the Navy could'nt
guarantee protection of the invasion force against the Royal Navy or
even enough logistics to convey the assault force.

--
R SUKUMAR
R2RS1@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU