[sci.military] Sexy budgets & boring planes

drn@pinet.aip.org (Donald Newcomb) (03/27/91)

From: drn@pinet.aip.org (Donald Newcomb)

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>The orthodox excuse is that the C-5 is incapable of flying heavy loads
>direct to the front lines, while the C-17 can do this.  Surprise surprise,
>if you look at the original C-5 specs, it was supposed to be able to fly
>heavy loads to the front lines!  There were problems with debris damaging
>engines when operating on soft surfaces, and the USAF was reluctant to
>clear the C-5 for such operations in the end; nothing has been said about
>why the C-17 won't have the same problems.

A few years ago one of our "old timers" was getting ready to retire and
throwing a lot of junk. I should have saved it! In the trash bin was
an instructional booklet on the P.P.B.S. (Planning, Programming Budget
System) written back when McNamara was SECDEF. It touted the
yet-to-fly C-5 as an example of the success of P.P.B.S.  I have it on
the *very* best authority that, when the C-5 flies, it will be the
perfect one-size-fits-all cargo plane. It will make obsolete all
current U.S. military cargo planes down to and including the C-130.
It will operate from short, unimproved runways; require almost no
maintenance and will be cheap to boot. And to think, we owe it all
to the P.P.B.S. ;-). That book should be required reading for every
prospective Pentagon Program Manager on why never to count their
chickens before they hatch.

Donald Newcomb
drn@pinet.aip.org
drn@aip.bitnet

john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) (03/31/91)

From: john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III)

	[14 lines of unnecessary quoted text deleted. --CDR]

Air & Space Smithsonian had an article of the C-5 a year to two back.
It mentioned that the C-5 could land on unimproved runways, but that
the plane was so deleciate and expensive that no one was willing to
risk one of the C-5s to do so, especially when the C-130 was available.

The article went on to describe a C-5 mission to airlift a national
gaurd unit to a training site.  The C-5 was unable to take off for
24 hours because of several minor mechanical problems.  The crew cheif
said that the C-5 has so many specialized but never used systems and
back-up systems that it is almost impossible to get everything working
for a mission, and the plane cannot be flown unless everything checks out.

At an airshow, I taked with a C-5 crew for about an hour.  They mentioned
that the C-5 was great when it worked, but they had a lot of down time.
They indicated that the C-5 would be a much better plane if it was
stripped down into a cargo plane and forgo the front line supply mission.

--
John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john