[sci.military] A10 vs Apache?

jrb@idx.com (03/22/91)

From: jrb@idx.com
I have a question regarding the A-10.  I have heard that the plan is to use a
modified F16 for the close air support role in the future.  One of the reasons
given for this is that the A10 is too slow for modern combat.  Ok, I guess I buy
that, but if that's true.. what's the rationale for the Apache helicopter?  If
speed is the determining factor in close air support, it would seem that the
first choice would be the F16, with the Apache being close to useless.
Also, does anybody have any info on the effectiveness of the A10 versus the
Apache?
Thanks,
Jim Bresee
jrb@idx.com

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: jrb@idx.com
>I have a question regarding the A-10.  I have heard that the plan is to use a
>modified F16 for the close air support role in the future.  One of the reasons
>given for this is that the A10 is too slow for modern combat.  Ok, I guess I buy
>that, but if that's true.. what's the rationale for the Apache helicopter?

You have to understand that the real rationales are political, not technical.

The USAF wants more F-16s, and is trying to get them by pretending that
they will fly CAS missions.  For CAS, the F-16 is inferior to the A-10 in
almost every way except speed, so naturally the official rationale is that
the A-10 is too slow.

The US Army, on the other hand, would really like to operate its own CAS
force, but isn't allowed to fly fixed-wing aircraft.  So naturally the
Apache is the superior solution to the technical problems.  It has to be;
the Army isn't allowed to pursue any other solution.

I'd give long odds that if the Army was told to do its own CAS in the most
cost-effective way, without artificial restrictions, it would end up with
neither Apaches nor F-16s.  The Marines had exactly that situation, and
fought long and hard to get Harriers.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com (03/25/91)

From: Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com
"The US Army, on the other hand, would really like to
operate its own CAS force, but isn't allowed to fly
fixed-wing aircraft."

In December 1990, the US Army was given permission to fly
fixed-wing aircraft.

                                               Eric Klien

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/26/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

>From: Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com
>"The US Army, on the other hand, would really like to
>operate its own CAS force, but isn't allowed to fly
>fixed-wing aircraft."
>
>In December 1990, the US Army was given permission to fly
>fixed-wing aircraft.

Oh, dear.  They've been very bad for quite a while then:  They've been
flying OV-1 Mohawks for several years.  (OV-10 Broncos, too, at least for
a while.)

Wasn't the 1990 agreement one that let them operate jet aircraft?

Maybe the Air Force will give them its A-10s.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com
>In December 1990, the US Army was given permission to fly
>fixed-wing aircraft.

I would appreciate seeing an authoritative reference for this.  Although
I've seen secondhand reports of it, there has been no word of it in sources
like Aviation Week and Flight International, where I would have expected it
to be headline news.
--

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/27/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

  The Army has flown a few fixed wing aircraft for a long, long time.

  1.  OV-1D Mohawk Surveillance Aircraft (Grumman)
      A crew of 2, twin turbo-prop, with SLAR, IR, and Photo capabilities.
      The Army has been flying the Mohawk since 1970.

  2.  RC-12 (Beechcraft) Improved Guardrail V system (Elecronic Warfare)
      A crew of 2, twin engine.  The Army has been flying Guardrail RC-12s
      since 1978.

The big 'to-do' about Army fixed-wing vs Air Force came during Vietnam
when the Army tried to buy the C-7 Caribou cargo plane.

mike schmitt

nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (03/27/91)

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
	[15 lines of unnecessary quoting deleted. -- CDR]

Does anyone know if we've learned anything about the CAS effectiveness
of Apaches, F-16s, A-10s and Harriers from the Gulf War?  It would be
interesting to know something like kills per CAS sortie for each aircraft
type.

Early in the air war one analyst claimed that the A-10 had thus far
been the only aircraft effective for locating and destroying mobile
scud launchers but then he seemed to be pretty biased against the more
expensive weapons systems.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (03/27/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

In article <1991Mar26.031544.2486@amd.com>, fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes...
>Oh, dear.  They've been very bad for quite a while then:  They've been
>flying OV-1 Mohawks for several years.  (OV-10 Broncos, too, at least for

As I understand it, the ban on fixed-wing aircraft was for planes over a
certain weight (I believe 10,000lbs.)

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy

Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com (03/28/91)

From: Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com

Whoops!  I meant that the Army was given permission to fly big fixed
wing aircraft, aircraft over 10,000 lbs to be precise.  I repeat an
old sci.military posting:

/Gateways/Usenet/sci/military/ARMY to get A-10s

From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT)

It's official.
The U.S. Congress passed a Defense Authorizations Bill in November which
directs the Air Force to slowly turn the A-10s over to the Army.  It was said
in ARMY TIMES 3 Dec that the A-10s will initially replace the aging OV-1 Mohawk
aircraft and will maintain Air Force logistical support.

The article also said that the A-10s would go to the Marines to replace the
OV-10 Bronco aircraft, but I highly doubt this.  The A-10 is not very
expeditionary and can't operate off of ships.  The OV-10s could at least take
off of LHAs.
The Bill was very significant because it allows the Army to opearte fixed wing
aircraft over 10,000 lbs.  The A-10 weighs over 25,000 lbs.  It opens the door
for Army aviation and for the Army to maintain its own planes in the CAS role.
Now the boys who need the CAS will get what they want, not what the fighter
pilots want!

BEAT NAVY  8 December 1990

Charles K. Bergman
x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu              ***********************
CDT CPL, USMA'93                     * Charlie don't surf! *
P.O. Box 54, U.S.C.C.                ***********************
West Point, NY 10997

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: Eric_S_Klien@cup.portal.com
>... I repeat an old sci.military posting:
>The U.S. Congress passed a Defense Authorizations Bill in November which
>directs the Air Force to slowly turn the A-10s over to the Army...

I would really like to see confirmation of this from a source other than
Army Times.  Flight International and Aviation Week haven't mentioned it
at all, although both have covered the CAS debate in depth and would be
unlikely to pass up something this major.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account) (04/01/91)

From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account)

Yes, I heard to that the Army take over control of its own CAS with
the AF servicing the aircraft.  What I wonder is does this clear
the way for Burt Rutan's Mud Fighter?  It is a single engine canard
like (sort of a delta wing with canards) plane with air intake on
one side and cannon on the other.  He claims he can make these for
about $2 Million each fully equipped.

Scuttle was the Army really liked these because of their unimproved
runway capability, while the Air Force just yawned saying "what, no
afterburner?"  Hence the Army lobbied hard for fixed wing, jet
aircraft CAS ability.  Now that they have will might we soon see
Mud Fighters flitting about?

Can anyone add some facts to this rumor?

--
Brian Douglass			brian@edat.uucp