[sci.military] Army and Fixed Wing

x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (03/30/91)

From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu

Well, the posting about the Caribou

The Army operated many C-7 Caribous in Vietnam and in the Guard for awhile
after.  The Air Force said hand them over. End of that >10,000 lb airplane.

As for the deal giving Army over 10,000 lb fixed wing rights.  An article
was in ARMY TIMES in early November describing the Congressional statement and
authorization.   They were to get OA-10s to replave OV-1s, but now it looks
like the Air boys might hold on to the Warthogs.

I still think the AV-8B is the best for CAS.  The Marines pioneered CAS, they
know the planes for the job.  Lest learn from them, the Germans did and built
the Stuka...remember .

Chuck Bergman
x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/03/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

>From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu
>As for the deal giving Army over 10,000 lb fixed wing rights.  An article
>was in ARMY TIMES in early November describing the Congressional statement and
>authorization.   They were to get OA-10s to replave OV-1s, but now it looks
>like the Air boys might hold on to the Warthogs.

Darn...

>I still think the AV-8B is the best for CAS.

I doubt if there is such a thing as a "perfect" or "ultimate" tool for any
given job.  This doesn't mean, btw, that there might necessarily be a better
one available for a given job at a given time.  Sometimes you have to make
do with what you have.

>The Marines pioneered CAS, they know the planes for the job.

The Marines also have some constraints that the Air Force (and Army,
for that matter) don't have.  In particular, having to face the
liklihood that they won't be able to count on having 10,000' runways to
operate from.

>Lest learn from them, the Germans did and built the Stuka...remember .

The which wasn't all that useful unless their side held air superiority.