[sci.military] Alaska Class

phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) (04/03/91)

From: phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson)

In article <1991Mar27.051532.23159@amd.com> plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) writes:
>The Alaska class was not intended as a battle unit, but rather as a
>cruiser killer and super cruiser
	[16 unnecessary lines of quoted text deleted! --CDR]

The Navy insisted vigorously on calling the Alaska class "large cruisers"
rather than "battle cruisers", though popular opinion and contemporary
Jane's gave them the latter name.  The armor deck was 3.25 or 2.8" on
1" STS and the bomb deck 1.4" STS, too close to Dave's numbers to cavil
about.  The belt was 9.5" sloped 10 degrees and the turret faces 12.8",
slightly less and slightly more respectively than the corresponding
parts of the last 12"-gunned battleships.  Compared to the Arkansas,
the Alaska had 4 or 5,000 tons, about 250 feet, and six times the
horsepower.  There's little doubt that the cruiser would have won a
one-on-one fight, and Japanese 8" cruisers would have been dogmeat if
they hadn't mostly been sunk by the time the CB's went into service.

The Alaska protection was considerably heavier than that on the
cancelled Lexington-class CC's (real battle cruisers) but their
armament far lighter.

My 1943 Bluejacket's Manual, in one of the few editorial passages
dealing with tactics rather than the swabbie's lack of rights, first
points out that battle cruisers are a Bad Idea with refereces to Jutland.
Then it mentions a new class, highly classified, but named after territories,
which might be a major improvement in the cruiser type.  I mention this
only because I think it indicates how much the Navy at the time hated the
words "battle cruiser".

The class can hardly be called a success.  The two commissioned vessels
were deactivated shortly after the war.   There was a limited need for
large gun-armed warships, the cruisers were  no faster and less maneuverable
than the Iowa-class battleships (they had single rudders, a cruiser
characteristic not helpful on a 31,500-ton vessel), and the supply and
training needs of a two-ship class were high. The third CB, the Hawaii,
was finished to the point where she was afloat and her main battery
installed.  Suggested ways to exploit this immense, elegant, and
expensive hull included a conversion to a humongous command cruiser
and rebuilding as a Polaris carrier.  Nothing important was done,
and all three ships were broken up around 1960.

See Norman Friedman, U.S. Cruisers, Naval Institute Press, ISBN
0-87021-718-6.