[sci.military] Styrofoam filled Mine sweepers

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (04/05/91)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

>From: phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai)
>kinney@wku.edu (Mark Kinney) writes:
>>the styrofoam would keep the ship afloat despite mine detonations
>And the propellor and rudder are unprotected.

	But a long way behind the front of the styrofoam.  Unless the mine
is designed to fire when the stern of a loooong ship passes, they should be
safe.

	On the other hand, designing a mine to explode when the signature
is finished shouldn't be that difficult.

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DA, the DOD, or the US Government