[sci.military] CinC Perks?

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (03/26/91)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>

	[ This is going pretty far astray from the Charter, but I'm
	  curious too. -CDR]

There was an amusing item on the news the other night; Bush was visiting some
elementary school, and sitting amongst a group of tots. One of them didn't
believe he was the President, so Bush got out his wallet to show the kid
some ID. Ended up handing him his American Express card, which finally
convinced the kid (who later said he didn't believe that was the Pres because
"he looked taller on TV"). Anyway, the incident got me to wondering:

As Commander-in-Chief, does the President get issued a military ID Card?
Does he have PX privileges?

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/27/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>

> As Commander-in-Chief, does the President get issued a military ID Card?
> Does he have PX privileges?

No military ID card.  It's issued only to "US Uniformed Services" and
PX privileges only go to "Uniformed Service Members" and their
immediate dependents (family members).   However, the President,
Cabinet Members, and Congresspeople are authorized medical services at
Bethesda Naval Hospital and Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

mike schmitt

gkr@trout.nosc.mil (Gregory K. Ramsey) (03/27/91)

From: gkr@trout.nosc.mil (Gregory K. Ramsey)

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:
>As Commander-in-Chief, does the President get issued a military ID Card?
>Does he have PX privileges?

I seem to recall reading some Navy Instruction (When I get
bored enough on duty, I'll read just about anything) which
listed those non-military individuals who had access to
Exchanges and Commissarys.

As I recall the President, VP, Supreme Court, Cabinet members
and Senators have full access.  House members I believe only
have access to the exchanges.

I don't know if the Army/AF Parallels the Navy or if this is
still the case.

Greg

proberts@uunet.UU.NET (Phil Roberts) (03/31/91)

From: disk!proberts@uunet.UU.NET (Phil Roberts)

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>No military ID card.  It's issued only to "US Uniformed Services" and
>PX privileges only go to "Uniformed Service Members" and their
>immediate dependents (family members).

There are civilian employees of the DoD who "ARE" issued military ID
cards.  Civilian employees who are stationed overseas are issued ID cards
which say "For Overseas Use Only".  I know because I had one.

Civilian employees overseas "DO" get PX privileges and all the other
privileges/services that uniformed members get.  There are even overseas
employees of DoD contractors that are issued an "installation pass".
Some of these contractor employees also get PX/Commissary Privileges.
They register their vehicle with the DoD agencies, have DoD driver's
licenses, etc.  I don't think they get to use U.S. medical facilities
though.  At least this was the case where I was in Germany.

[ This is getting pretty far astray of the group's charter, so this is
  the last article on this topic. -- CDR]

--
Phil Roberts           |      proberts@disk.UUCP      or
Louisville, Kentucky   |           uunet!ukma!corpane!disk!proberts

digex@world.std.com (doug e humphrey) (04/07/91)

From: digex@world.std.com (doug e humphrey)

Armed Forces ID cards are issued to other than Uniformed Service
Personnel; A co-worker of mine was a civilian in Saudia Arabia
operating communications systems, and he has an Armed Forces ID card
that got him PX privs and more importantly got him on and off bases,
and got him onto and off of the Desert Express, a neat little airline
running 141s out of Charlston NC; he has equiv rank of Captain, and
almost got them to type SubGenius into the spot for what God you
believe in   ;-)   He also managed to get some stickers for his laptop
computer that he is not really supposed to explain to anyone.

Doug Humphrey
Crypto Systems Division (this week...)