[sci.military] Advanced Tactical Fighter

v064lnev@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (04/04/91)

From: v064lnev@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu

Just a few questions on the ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter)?

o What exactly is the mission of the ATF?

o The Lockheed/General Dynamics YF-22 has vertical thrust vectoring.
  How much of an improvement in manueverability does this bestow?  Is
  such an improvement in manueverability important considering its
  mission, and would it improve its effectiveness substantially?

o Although both prototype aircraft have been integrated with stealth
  technology, it is reported that the Northrop YF-23 is more effective
  in employing this feature than its competitor.  Is the difference in
  effectiveness substantial?

o Since both prototype aircraft have internal weapon bays, will this
          limit weapon capacity?  Have these aircraft been designed around new
  weaponry, or specific existing weaponry?

o Although both prototype aircraft have the newly developed ability to
  super-cruise at about Mach 1.5, it is reported that the top end speed
  is only about Mach 2.0.  Will this pose a significant disadvantage,
  considering that many modern advesary aircraft usually have a top end
  speed of about 2.4?

o Supposedly, the aircraft which is chosen to be the new Advanced
  Tactical Fighter for the Air Force will also be adapted for use by
  the Navy.  How successful have such adaptions been in the past with
  other aircraft?

o As both these prototype aircraft are larger than the McDonnell Douglas
  F-15, would they be acceptable for carrier use?  If so, which existing
  aircraft would the ATF replace concerning carrier use?  And which
  prototype aircraft is most suited for carrier use?

o Have either of the prototype aircraft been designated names yet?  If
  so, what are they?

o Any opinions or ideas regarding these prototype aircraft?

Thanks in advance.

--
(Zerxes Bhagalia v064lnev (INTERNET: @UBVMS.cc.buffalo.edu / BIT: @UBVMS.bitnet)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: v064lnev@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
>o What exactly is the mission of the ATF?

Depends on who you're talking to, but it's basically the F-15 replacement.

>o Although both prototype aircraft have the newly developed ability to
>  super-cruise at about Mach 1.5, it is reported that the top end speed
>  is only about Mach 2.0.  Will this pose a significant disadvantage,
>  considering that many modern advesary aircraft usually have a top end
>  speed of about 2.4?

Most unlikely.  For one thing, most modern adversary aircraft can't reach
Mach 2.4 under any circumstances; the modern tendency is to use fixed
inlets for simplicity, which limits things to about 2.0.  The ones that
*can* reach 2.4 can do so only with a long acceleration run in a straight
line, a situation that never happens in combat.  All the "Mach 2.5" fighters
in the Vietnam War put together logged not *one minute* of time above
about 2.2, and only a few minutes above 1.8.  This is why modern designers
tend to ignore extreme supersonic speeds:  they are of no military use, at
least not when aircraft have great difficulty reaching them and can sustain
them only very briefly.

>o Supposedly, the aircraft which is chosen to be the new Advanced
>  Tactical Fighter for the Air Force will also be adapted for use by
>  the Navy.  How successful have such adaptions been in the past with
>  other aircraft?

Not very, to put it mildly.  There are significant technical problems and
massive political obstacles.

>o As both these prototype aircraft are larger than the McDonnell Douglas
>  F-15, would they be acceptable for carrier use?  If so, which existing
>  aircraft would the ATF replace...

Officially, they are acceptable.  Privately, the Navy probably has doubts
(and would much prefer to build its own anyway).  They would presumably
be primarily F-14 replacements.

>o Have either of the prototype aircraft been designated names yet?

No.

>o Any opinions or ideas regarding these prototype aircraft?

I'd give the winner less than a 50% chance of ever reaching production.
They are new and sexy and very expensive at a time when the USAF is under
great pressure to make do with what it's got for a while.

--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

lam@handel.cs.colostate.edu (mark lam) (04/08/91)

From: lam@handel.cs.colostate.edu (mark lam)

>From: v0641nev@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu

>Just a few questions on the ATF (Advanced Tatical Figher)?

>o What exactly is the mission of the ATF?

Everything that I've read says that the mission is Air Superiority.  It will be
the replacement for the F-15C Eagle.

>o The Lockheed/General Dynamics YF-22 has vertical thrust vectoring.  How much
>of an improvement is manueverability does this bestow?

Quote from Lockheed chief test pilot Dave Ferguson:  "I just get double the
roll rate at low speed.  The vectoring controls pitch, while the differential
tails input roll at a stronger rate that they could otherwise, so I can turn
about twice as fast.  Above Mach 1.4, when the tail loses some of its
effectiveness,  vectoring lets me turn about one-third faster."  A computer
integrates all the flight control surfaces with the vectoring to make this an
effective system.

>o ...Have these aircraft been designed around new weaponry, or specific
>existing weaponry?

I've seen a picture of the YF-22 firing a Sidewinder out of its missile bay,
but I would think that the Air Force would be working on some new weapons
that take full advantage of these aircraft.

Source:  Popular Science, April 1991

--
Mark Lam