[sci.military] Kelly Johnson lecture text?

rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer) (04/07/91)

From: rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer)

	A couple of months ago, in the course of a discussion of the
F-111, someone (Henry Spencer?) alluded to the book "Illusions of Choice:
The F-111 and the Problem of Weapons Acquisition Reform". I proceeded to
read it at my first opportunity, and was interested to find footnotes
referencing a lecture by the late Kelly Johnson to (I think) the Military
Industrial Designers' Society back in the early seventies, titled
"Prerequisites for a Successful Skunkworks".

	I have tried with no success to locate a copy thereof; does
anyone know if it is in print, or in any professional journals? If
nothing else, perhaps fragments of it may be quoted in the upcoming
biography of Johnson (Knopf? not sure). Hope the author does Kelly and
his creations due justice!

--
Russ Teasdale -- rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  --  (Falconer)

mark@mips.com (Mark G. Johnson) (04/09/91)

From: mark@mips.com (Mark G. Johnson)

>... a lecture by the late Kelly Johnson  ...  back in the early seventies,
>titled "Prerequisites for a Successful Skunkworks".

The appendix of the biography "KELLY: More than My Share of It All"
contains Johnson's thoughts on running a successful black program.
Among other places, the book is available mailorder through Zenith books.

--
Mark Johnson
MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (04/10/91)

From: wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)

rteasdal@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Falconer) writes:
>	I have tried with no success to locate a copy thereof; does
>anyone know if it is in print, or in any professional journals? If
>nothing else, perhaps fragments of it may be quoted in the upcoming
>biography of Johnson (Knopf? not sure). Hope the author does Kelly and
>his creations due justice!

I suspect others here on sci.military would like this as well,
I know I would.

BTW, the Johnson book that I have is called "Kelly: more than my share of
it all" and is published by the SMithsonian Institute press.  Those who
would like more info. like the ISBN number, etc., please email me and
I will be happy to provide same.  The book IS available at the USAF
museum (when they have copies), incidentally, for those in the midwest.

Duane
	[Given the Skunkworks fan club on this list, could you
	 please submit the ISBN and reference to the list, and I'll
	 post it for everyone instead of having you drowned in mail. --CDR]