[sci.military] 16" Battleship gun info wanted

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) (04/04/91)

From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)

To resolve a debate some friends of mine are having:

	Does anyone know the muzzle velocity, time of flight, or max
ordinate for a 16" gun firing at max range?

	Apparently USN&WR said in an article that a 16" gun firing at
a range of 25 miles, the projectile would travel 50,000 feet into the
air.  Some people asserted this was correct, others said it sounded
much too high (assuming low angle fire).

	With either time-of-flight or muzzle velocity, we can
approximate the max ordinate (assuming a vacuum, which gives an upper
bound on the problem).

thanks in advance

dave emery
emery@aries.mitre.org

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (04/04/91)

From: jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy)

Assuming a vacuum, the longest range is obtained when a gun is fired
at an elevation angle of 45 degrees.  In this case, the altitude reached is
1/4 the range.  This would be 6 1/4 miles if the range is 25 miles,
which is 33,000 feet.  If one takes air resistance into account, the
maximum range would be obtained at a somewhat higher elevation angle,
because that would make the shell spend more of its trajectory where
the air is less dense.

If 25 miles is not the maximum range, then the elevation angle can
be higher or lower.  It is not obvious to me which would be more
accurate.

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (04/04/91)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

In article <1991Apr4.041931.11567@amd.com> emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
<	Does anyone know the muzzle velocity, time of flight, or max
<ordinate for a 16" gun firing at max range?
<	Apparently USN&WR said in an article that a 16" gun firing at
<a range of 25 miles, the projectile would travel 50,000 feet into the
<air.  Some people asserted this was correct, others said it sounded
<much too high (assuming low angle fire).

	Max range and low angle fire are incompatible!  Max range means
an elevation angle of around 45 degrees.  Air resistance and possibly
the curvature of the earth affect the angle.  50,000 feet is about 9.7
miles, which should not be too far from the maximum ordinate for a near
45 degre elevation angle.  I see no reason to object to the figures
given in the article.

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DA, the DOD, or the US Government

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (04/06/91)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

In article <1991Apr5.092149.8384@amd.com> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>If 25 miles is not the maximum range, then the elevation angle can
>be higher or lower.  It is not obvious to me which would be more
>accurate.

	Against a target that was as tall as it was deep ( front to back )
the lower trajectory would be most accurate because it would be shorter.
Against a point target, it would depend.  The higher trajectory Might have
a smaller ground footprint.  Or, it might not.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)
>	Does anyone know the muzzle velocity, time of flight, or max
>ordinate for a 16" gun firing at max range?
>
>	Apparently USN&WR said in an article that a 16" gun firing at
>a range of 25 miles, the projectile would travel 50,000 feet into the
>air.  Some people asserted this was correct, others said it sounded
>much too high (assuming low angle fire).

A reasonable rule of thumb is that high-velocity artillery is circa 1000m/s
at the muzzle.  The old ballistics rule of thumb is that horizontal range
is double vertical range, max altitude of the max-range trajectory is half
vertical range, and for max range you fire at 45-degree elevation.  (You
do not use "low angle fire" for long range!)  The usefulness of this is
that vertical range is easy to calculate:  v^2 = 2ag, so 1000m/s in a
9.81m/s^2 gravitational field gives a vertical range of a bit over 50km.
So we have a 100km range at 45 degrees, with a trajectory reaching 25km
altitude, circa 75000ft.  This is a wee bit optimistic because it ignores
air resistance, of course, but clearly 50000ft is not implausible.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

I wrote:
>... (You do not use "low angle fire" for long range!)

I got mail about this from Jon W. Meyer, an artillery type who can't post
from his machine:

    Sorry, Henry, but "low angle fire" for artillery has a particular
    definition.  Essentially, any tube elevation less than or equal
    to 1600 mils or 45 degrees is "low angle".  Anything above this
    is "high angle".  Actually, the firing tables for most indirect
    fire weapons don't provide data within two hundred or so mils of
    1600 becase the CEP becomes unacceptably large.  (This is more
    true when firing with larger propellant charges than with smaller
    ones).

--

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (04/08/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)

In article <1991Apr5.092149.8384@amd.com> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>Assuming a vacuum, the longest range is obtained when a gun is fired
>at an elevation angle of 45 degrees.  [...]
>If one takes air resistance into account, the
>maximum range would be obtained at a somewhat higher elevation angle,
>because that would make the shell spend more of its trajectory where
>the air is less dense.

Correct; I think about 48 degrees is optimal for large guns.  The turrets
of the Iowas, however, only allow elevation to 45 degrees, so it's a moot
point.

A bit of data for the 16"/50:

Projectile ->	AP Mk 8		HC Mk 14

shell wt. (lb)	2700		1900
muz.vel(ft/sec)	2500		2690
range@45deg	42345yds	41622yds
		38720m		38049m

--
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com

nash@cs.nps.navy.mil (David Nash) (04/10/91)

From: nash@cs.nps.navy.mil (David Nash)

In his reply, Mr. Meyer mistakenly equated 1600 mils with 45 degrees.
Lest there be any doubt, low angle fire is any fire where the quadrant
elevation does not exceed 800 mils, or 45 degrees.