[sci.military] SLAM & S-3

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) (04/10/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim)

In article <1991Apr9.030305.2122@amd.com> jeff@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jeff Nanis) writes:
> Moving on to another minor thing, re the S-3, just because it can
> carry Harpoon (which just needs externally supplied targeting data,
> doesn't imply that it can launch SLAM, which requires the Walleye
> data-link on the launch aircraft for terminal guidance prior to IR
> seeker lock-on.

Just to clarify a point here, apparently the SLAM is capable of having
one platform launch it and another platform use the data link. A Navy
press statement about a June 1989 test indicated that the SLAM had
been sucessfully launched from one plane and data linked from another.

While I am not saying the S-3 can carry the SLAM (I have only heard
confirmation that it has been tested from the A-6, F/A-18 and surface
ships), not having the Walleye data link would not necessarily
preclude it from doing so.

--
Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek