[sci.military] Su-27 sell to China?

cgren@pyramid.swansea.ac.uk (Zoran Ren) (04/07/91)

From: Zoran Ren <cgren@pyramid.swansea.ac.uk>

In the last issue of Flight journale I have come accros a very interesting
short note. It says, that in the view of establishing new political ties
with PRC, the USSR politicans signed an agreement of selling their prime
fighter, Su-27 "Flanker", to them. The note doesn't mention any numbers or
dates of delivery.

Does anybody on the net have any more info about this deal?

--
Janet (UK only): cgren@uk.ac.swansea.pyramid          \  Zoran Ren
Earn/Bitnet: cgren%pyramid.swansea.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet \ Dept. of Civil Eng.

chana@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Andy Chan) (04/09/91)

From: chana@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Andy Chan)

The main reason that China is buying the Su-27's from the Soviet Union is for
the PLAN (People's Liberation Army Navy, yes the NAvy is a branch of the Army
in China.) to put on the new carrier it is building.  The price is expected
to be from $35-40 million per unit.  However, the Chinese Government is trying
to negotiate a "friendship price", and is trying to trade consumer goods for
the planes (goodness knows Russia needs them.)

Just a little "inside information" (the fact that I am Chinese puts me on the
"inside"   :->  )

Another problem is that the Soviets want to keep spare parts and training in
Russia, while China wants to manufacture their own, so they will be less
dependent on the Soviet Union.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 (about 3 Japanese yen)

/Chan*Man/

anthony@cs.uq.oz.au (04/11/91)

From: anthony@cs.uq.oz.au

In <1991Apr10.024556.21439@amd.com> chana@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Andy Chan) writes:

>From: chana@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Andy Chan)

>The main reason that China is buying the Su-27's from the Soviet Union is for
>the PLAN (People's Liberation Army Navy, yes the NAvy is a branch of the Army
>in China.) to put on the new carrier it is building.  The price is expected

China is building a new carrier ? Could you tell me where is the reference
for this.  I found it very surprising that China could afford to build a
carrier.  Even conventional carriers cost billions so how can China afford
to build a carrier.  Furthermore building a carrier requires a lot of high
tech, well at least the electronics, there are communication equipments,
radars.  A lot of it would have to be imported from probably the US.

All these bring me to another question, what's the status of the Soviet
carriers ?

>Another problem is that the Soviets want to keep spare parts and training in
>Russia, while China wants to manufacture their own, so they will be less
>dependent on the Soviet Union.

Also it has been past practice for China to manufacture older generation of
Soviet systems and sell them to third world countries at very low prices.
The Soviet need all the foreign currency they can get and I don't think
they be keen on any competition.

--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)
email: anthony@cs.uq.oz.au			    TEL:+(61)-7-365-2697 (w)