[sci.military] Osprey and ASW

mark@jarthur.Claremont.edu (Mark Anderson) (04/02/91)

From: Mark Anderson <mark@jarthur.Claremont.edu>

An attack of wild conjecture strikes....

What is the Osprey's potential as an ASW platform?

Is it sized appropriately to be able to use the helo pad that the LAMPS
use? For all I know it may be just to big to even consider fitting there, or
too small to carry all of the electronics that is needed.
If it could fit, could it work out as a decent platform, in terms of
-Payload
	More of the above. Basically can the Osprey carry the proper
	payload, or is it too big/small for the job?
-Endurance
	Maybe superior to LAMPS type helos? It is probably more fuel
	efficient to cruise like a fixed wing craft, but would ASW use it
	often enought to be useful. The P3 seems to be effective that way,
	but is that "THE WAY OF THE FUTURE"
-Electronics/Avionics:
	Is the airframe suitable for electronic support, does it have the
	space for whatever avionics it needs? (I guess that I am thinking
	about such items as vibration (though they claim they have that
	licked) and electrical bus capability for all the ASW stuff.
-Dipping Sonar
	Could you put a dipping sonar on the Osprey?
	Would the downwash from the props, which I hear is pretty fierce,
	disturb the water too much? Or could this be solved by using a
	longer line for the sonar or something, and staying higher up.
-Speed
	This could let it get to an area fast, and then start slowly cruising,
	looking. The speed would I imagine help its usable max range,
	in terms of minimizing transit time, and thus crew fatigue.

It seems like this could offer something with some of the nice features of
the P3 Orion ( I think that's it) and the LAMPS helo.

Unanswered questions include:
Is this niche useful?
Is the role of ASW helo typically employed so close to the ship that many of
the nice features of the Osprey aren't really useful or needed?
Would a scaled down P3 type A/C with dipping capability be useful?

I imagine using an airframe which is being used for many other roles could
simplify some of the logistics problems of a new aircraft, but how valuable
is that? Is it worth the cost?

I guess that I see two possible views of the role of the ASW Osprey.
One would be a shipboard helo upgrade which had the cruise capability of a
fixed wing craft plus hover and all that that brings.
The other would be a P3 sort of A/C which would take away range and size in
return for dipping capability.

I know that this is blue sky, and reveals a great deal of ignorance about
ASW, but I was just curious... blast away.

--
Mark A. Anderson                               mark@jarthur.claremont.edu
Platt Campus Center                            manderson@hmcvax.bitnet

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (04/05/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

The planned SV-22 takes up a larger ground area than a CH-53E.  It would
NOT fit on board any ASW surface combatant's helo pad, much less fit in
the hangar.

Allan
--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213

anderson@tybalt.caltech.edu (Eric R. Anderson) (04/07/91)

From: anderson@tybalt.caltech.edu (Eric R. Anderson)

  From a Bell/Boeing sheet on the "SV-22 as subkiller":

  "...the V-22 Osprey could make it possible to detect and defeat hostile
submarines hundreds of miles from CV and protect non-CV assets such as
AMPHIIBs, URGs, SAGs, BBBGs, and CONVOYs.
   ...Osprey is also shipboard compatible.  It will base aboard aviation
ships but will be capable of staging from the flight decks of an additional
80 to 90 Navy vessels, including all DD-963-class destroyers and CG-47
cruisers.  The V-22 is capable of all-weather instrument flight, day or
night -- even in moderate icing conditions.
   In an antisubmarine warfare role, the SV-22 would be capable of hovering
to deploy and recover sensors and/or employ an advanced active sonar as well
as passive sono-buoy tactics.  Its avionics suite will be based on the Update
IV package currently being developed by Boeing for the P-3 Orion.  Improved
sensors, including advanced radar and FLIR, will enhance the fire-control
systems.  The Osprey's weapon mix can include sub-killing torpedoes as well
as antiship and antiaircraft missiles."

  It goes on to give some dimensions and performance figures:

  Length, aircraft mode:     57.9 ft
  Span, rotors turning:      84.6 ft
  Length, stowed:            62.6 ft
  Width, stowed:	     18.4 ft
  Cruise, normal:            240 kn
  Dash speed:                275 kn
  Max mission radius:        660 nmi
  Max mission endurance:     3.9 hrs

The last two figures are footnoted to the effect that they hold for vertical
take off, with an 11 knot wind over the deck and 150 nmi forward staging. The
last figure is also footnoted as being 25% hover on station.
  I don't claim to know the least bit about ASW, I'm just relaying some of the
information I have on the aircraft.  Make of it what you will.

--
Eric Anderson                                     eanderso@caltech.bitnet

vince@cs.washington.edu (Vince Skahan) (04/09/91)

From: bcsaic!vince@cs.washington.edu (Vince Skahan)

In article <1991Apr6.021211.14847@amd.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:
>The planned SV-22 takes up a larger ground area than a CH-53E.  It would
>NOT fit on board any ASW surface combatant's helo pad, much less fit in
>the hangar.

it's also considerably heavier than a MH47E...but it was sure
interesting watching them build a V-22 next to where they were
refinishing the 47E prior to the rollout....

--
Vince Skahan   vince@atc.boeing.com  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince

crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl) (04/11/91)

From: crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl)

In article <1991Apr9.030457.2549@amd.com>
anderson@tybalt.caltech.edu (Eric R. Anderson) writes:
>  From a Bell/Boeing sheet on the "SV-22 as subkiller":
>
>  Length, aircraft mode:     57.9 ft     Span, rotors turning:      84.6 ft
>  Length, stowed:            62.6 ft     Width, stowed:	     18.4 ft
>  Cruise, normal:            240 kn      Dash speed:                275 kn
>  Max mission radius:        660 nmi     Max mission endurance:     3.9 hrs

My memory of helicopter capabilities is murky at best, but these capabilities
do not seem much better than a conventional helicopter.  I was under the
impression that a decent "jetcopter" got about 200 kn, etc.  How much better
than a helicopter is the "SV-22"?  Is a machine "25% more capability" worth
the increased cost and space?  Is there an effective "performance test" one
could apply to the "SV-22"?
--
  Lawrence Crowl		716-275-9499   University of Rochester
		      crowl@cs.rochester.edu   Computer Science Department