[sci.military] CAPTOR Mines, Stealth Ships, Army aviation

lam@handel.cs.colostate.edu (mark lam) (04/04/91)

From: lam@handel.cs.colostate.edu (mark lam)

I just read an article asking about CAPTOR mines that, unfortunately, didn't
get saved. According to "Modern Naval Combat," the CAPTOR mine system is
under development (as of 1986.)  Its one drawback, however, is that it has
no IFF.  Therefore, any CAPTOR mine fields would have to be avoided by friendly
forces.  The book mentions that the mine might allow some targets to pass
before firing.  If anybody has any up-to-date information about CAPTOR, I
would be interested in finding out about it.

Also, taking up the theme of "Stealth Ships," what about the USN's trawlers
that trail towed sonar arrays?  I thought that they were supposed to Stealthy.

As far as Army aviation goes, I've read that the whole problem was the Army
arming their planes, not that they flew them.  The story is mentioned in
"U.S.A.F.E., A Primer of Modern Air Combat in Europe."  The story goes that
the Air Force was allowed to have fixed wing armed aircraft, while the Army
got to do whatever they wanted to with helicopters.  This lead to the
gunship concept (i.e.:Cheyenne, Apache, Cobra.)  I've heard various opinions
on whether or not the Army is going to get the A-10s, but no definitive
answers.

Mark Lam

PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (04/12/91)

From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>

>From: lam@handel.cs.colostate.edu (mark lam)
>I just read an article asking about CAPTOR mines that, unfortunately, didn't
>get saved. According to "Modern Naval Combat," the CAPTOR mine system is
>under development (as of 1986.)  Its one drawback, however, is that it has
>no IFF.  Therefore, any CAPTOR mine fields would have to be avoided by
>friendly
>forces.  The book mentions that the mine might allow some targets to pass
>before firing.  If anybody has any up-to-date information about CAPTOR, I
>would be interested in finding out about it.

In the 1991 edition of their annual force review, the US Navy League's
magazine said the CAPTOR used a system that could analyze the sound of a
potential target, and then fire its Mk-46 on targets fitting the description
programmed, so friendly subs have nothing to worry about.  By the way, IFF
doesn't have to do with sonar, it's a two-way ID method for aircraft.

>Also, taking up the theme of "Stealth Ships," what about the USN's trawlers
>that trail towed sonar arrays?  I thought that they were supposed to Stealthy.

You must be talking about the T-AGOS ships.  These ships are used for ocean
acoustic survielence (sp?) to detect subs at long range.  The newest ones,
starting will hull 17 (I think, I don't know the name) have a new twin hull
design to reduce water surface area on the hull so that they are quieter and
can listen better.

--
L. GORDON PAISLEY, PAISLEY@AUVM.AUVM.EDU
THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY