[sci.military] Carrier Ops in Gulf

x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT) (04/04/91)

From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT)

munitions--that is wrong.

The Intruder is probably one of the best attack aircraft in the world and can
carry almost all U.S. Air to surface bombs and missiles including LGBs and even
Tomahawk ALCMs (which are definitely consider a smart munition).  It doesn't
surprise me that CBS (Communist Broadcasting Service) said this.

I have heard from unofficial sources that the Air Force monopolized the stocks
of U.S. LGBs and they let the Marines and Navy have very little.  It boggles me
that the F-117 was "so great."  Almost all tactical aircraft in the U.S.
inventory can drop LGBs and many of them, with attached laser designating pods,
can deliver these bombs on there own - just like the F-117.  I guess the Air
Force figured they had to prove the need for the costly stealth fighter.
The F-111 is very good with LGBs (remember Libya) and can fly farther and drop
more!  Even in Vietnam the same type LGBs used in Iraq were used towards the
end of the War from aircraft like F-4Es.

Phantoms Phorever!

Charles K. Bergman
x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu
x35147d3@usma8-emh2.army.mil

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (04/06/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

In article <1991Apr5.092420.8844@amd.com>, x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT) writes...
>The Intruder is probably one of the best attack aircraft in the world and can
>carry almost all U.S. Air to surface bombs and missiles including LGBs and even
>Tomahawk ALCMs (which are definitely consider a smart munition).  It doesn't
>surprise me that CBS (Communist Broadcasting Service) said this.

I've heard that the medium range version of Tomahawk for A-6's and that type
of plane was cancelled.  Can anyone comment on this?  I don't remember where
I heard this (it was some time ago.)  It's listed as an option for the A-6
in MODERN NAVAL COMBAT.

Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (04/06/91)

From: schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger)

In article <1991Apr5.092420.8844@amd.com>, x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT) writes...
>The Intruder is probably one of the best attack aircraft in the world and can
>carry almost all U.S. Air to surface bombs and missiles including LGBs and even
>Tomahawk ALCMs (which are definitely consider a smart munition).  It doesn't
>surprise me that CBS (Communist Broadcasting Service) said this.

There have never been any operational air-launched versions of the Tomahawk
cruise missile.  Both the tactical MRASM (Medium-Range Air-to-Surface Missile)
and strategic variant (unsuccessful competitor to the Boeing AGM-86 Air-Launched
Cruise Missile (ALCM) were cancelled.  The operational Tomahawks are all
surface or submarine launched versions.

The A6 can carry Harpoon, HARM, Maverick, Skipper II and Sidewinder missiles, as
well as laser-guided and other bombs.  The A6 can also carry the land-attack
variant of the Harpoon missile, the SLAM (Stand-off Land Attack Missile).

--
Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

pss4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Paul S Shannon) (04/06/91)

From: pss4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Paul S Shannon)

In article <1991Apr6.021133.14701@amd.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I've heard that the medium range version of Tomahawk for A-6's and that type
>of plane was cancelled.  Can anyone comment on this?  I don't remember where
>I heard this (it was some time ago.)  It's listed as an option for the A-6
>in MODERN NAVAL COMBAT.

I remember hearing something about the Soviets objecting to air launched
cruise missiles in arms negotiations, and the US agreeing not to
produce such weapons.  But would this be with respect only to
long range, nuclear tipped Tomahawks?  Or is it very easy to change
the Tomahawks conventional warhead to a nuclear one?

adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (04/09/91)

From: adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt)

In article <1991Apr6.021133.14701@amd.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I've heard that the medium range version of Tomahawk for A-6's and that type
>of plane was cancelled.

Can the Tomahawk be air-launched?  I thought the Tomahawk was the cruise
missile launched from the surface - the one that looks like a torpedo with
wings.  The missile I thought was the ALCM is triangular in cross-section,
and has its engine inlet mounted on top (the Tomahawk's inlet is underneath).
My memory probably needs updating, though.  Corrections by email are welcome.

	[The Tomahawk cannot be air-launched, seems to be the
	 definitive answer.  --CDR]

Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (Brian Bikowicz) (04/10/91)

From: megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (Brian Bikowicz)

In article <1991Apr10.024432.21134@amd.com> adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
>Can the Tomahawk be air-launched?  I thought the Tomahawk was the cruise
>missile launched from the surface - the one that looks like a torpedo with
>wings.  The missile I thought was the ALCM is triangular in cross-section,
>and has its engine inlet mounted on top (the Tomahawk's inlet is underneath).

There a variants of the Tomahawk for Air, surface, and sub launching. They
all have a *GM-109 designator to my knowledge. The MRASM is basically a
Tomahawk, although it does not carry that name. The USAF held a fly-off
between the Boeing ALCM and the Tomahawk. The ALCM is the missile with the
dorsal inlet and the triangular nose. (The ALCM won the USAF contest.)
The ALCM is a nuclear deterent, whereas the Tomahawk has many conventional
explosive options which allows its use in wars such as Iraq.

--
Brian Bikowicz
megazone@wpi.wpi.edu

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/11/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

>From: adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt)
>
>In article <1991Apr6.021133.14701@amd.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>I've heard that the medium range version of Tomahawk for A-6's and that type
>>of plane was cancelled.
>
>	[The Tomahawk cannot be air-launched, seems to be the
>	 definitive answer.  --CDR]

I have a couple of books/magazines at home that have the same picture of a
Tomahawk being dropped from an A-6.

The missile is bright red, so I suppose it was a picture of a test firing,
not that the air-launched Tomahawk was ever/will ever be fielded.

	[Things that look very much like a Tomahawk can be air-launched,
	 seems to be the definitive answer. :-)  --CDR]

dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund) (04/11/91)

From: dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund)

Well, it is like that :
in one little book I have at home ( Bill Gunston's Airlaunched missiles )
is a perfect picture of a Tomahawk hanging at the fuselage station
on GD's own F-16 ( I think else they loaned it from the AF).
That was of course a prototype.

Something or somebody stopped the whole idea

--
dvlssd@cs.umu.se, Stefan Skoglund  I  Tel +46 90 19 65 29

wab@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Baker) (04/12/91)

From: igor!rutabaga!wab@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Baker)

In article <1991Apr11.033726.4881@amd.com> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (Brian Bikowicz) writes:
>The USAF held a fly-off
>between the Boeing ALCM and the Tomahawk. The ALCM is the missile with the
>dorsal inlet and the triangular nose. (The ALCM won the USAF contest.)
>The ALCM is a nuclear deterent, whereas the Tomahawk has many conventional
>explosive options which allows its use in wars such as Iraq.

I've wondered for a long time which is the better cruise missile.
Back when I was in junior high (shows you how long procurement cycles
are), my dad was a PR type for Boeing, and he took me into the "lab"
where they were working on one of the prototypes.  Very cool: An
ice-white missile about the size of my sailboat with tiger's teeth on
the nose.  I remember that the ALCM blew away the Tomahawk in the
original fly-offs (adjust for Boeing prejudices).  Now, the Tomahawk
has obviously earned its stripes, but I'm curious as to which is the
more accurate missile.  Unless they're demobilized from the nuclear
deterrence role, we'll never get to see the ALCM tested in combat like
the Tomahawk.  Still, they must test fire ALCM's occasionally and I
wonder if it still beats the pants off the Tomahawk.  Is there an
unclassified answer?