[sci.military] Tank stowage

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (04/12/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)

In article <1991Apr12.055056.13916@amd.com> Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca writes:
>4)  A civilian observer like me can be surprised at the amount of stuff
>attached to the outside of tanks.  I guess some of it is reactive
>armor.  What are the tubes that look like truncated mortars for?

I presume you're talking about the smoke grenade dischargers.  They're
mounted in groups at the forward sides of the turret, and set up so that
when fired, they create a quick smokescreen in front of the tank.  The
first use I'm aware of was by the Germans in WWII,  who employed it quite
widely.

>Do tankers, like infantrymen, tend to work on the principle of taking
>anything along that could be useful, if it can be carried, and if so do
>they just tie it on outside?

Yes.  Space inside a tank is very limited... the more volume you enclose,
the heavier the armor has to be to cover it all, and the bigger of a target
you are.  So non-essential stuff gets strapped to the outside.  This
includes storage boxes for the crew's personal gear, tools, some spare
parts, tarps and camo netting, tow cables... and many Soviet designs carry
spare fuel tanks outside the armor.

For an extreme, find some pictures of WWII tanks.  In addition to the sort
of stuff I list above, you'll frequently see field-improvised armor
enhancements.  Spare tracks were favored for this; many German tanks had a
bracked allowing a length of spare track to be carried flush with the front
lower hull plate, effectively adding armor while carrying a useful spare
part.  Spare tracks were often carried in other strategic spots, as well.

American tankers often would strap boards or sandbags over their vehicles;
I've seen one picture where concrete was cast over much of the front face
of an assault gun.

--
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com