[sci.military] Air losses in the Gulf

BXR307@CSC.ANU.EDU.AU (04/03/91)

From: BXR307@CSC.ANU.EDU.AU

	Not that it is all over bar the shouting in the Gulf, I was wondering
if anybody else out there on the net, like me, had wondered about the
surprising low casualties which had been suffered by the Coalition airforces
during Operation Desert Storm?

	Last week I attended an a conference given here in Canberra at
the Australian Defence Force Academy by the RAAF.  The title of the
conference was, "Conventional Airpower into the 21st Century: Smaller but
Larger".   At this conference a paper which piqued my curioristy was given
by a Dr. John McCarthy on "Air Power as History".  Why it piqued my curiousity
was because of the statistics he produced for loss rates in past conflicts.

	Here is the part of the paper which was most interesting (reproduced
with his permission):

	"...For operational aircrew, life has generally been hazardous and
expectancy short.  With the opening of the Battle of the Somme in July 1916,
the RFC employed its aircraft at very low altitude to deliver attacks with
machine guns and light bombs.  Even without a major battle, RFC carried out
two or three patrols a day.  The introduction of the Albatros types in the
spring of 1917 saw a British loss rate of some 30%.  By the end of the war,
Germany had lost 5,853 pilots killed, 7,302 wounded and 2,751 either taken
prisoner or listed as missing.  British figures were a little higher with
6,166 killed, 7,425 wounded and 3,212 take prisoner or listed as missing.
	If air to air fighting was relatively limited in the second war,
and reasonably safe, ground attack sorties remained most dangerous.  In
1943, it was expected that only 7% of aircrews flying strike sorties in
Beaufighters would complete their operational tour.  The high casualty rates
of Bomber Command cannot be disguised.  Of the 74,797 deaths caused by
injury among members of the Royal Air Force to May 1945, just over 66% came
from that one operational command.  The chance of an individual surviving
the two tour requirement while serving in it was one in fourteen.  Examples
of more recent air warfare might suggest that prospects of survival have
not improved.  India claimed to have destroyed 94 Pakistani aircraft in the
seventeen day war in 1971.  Sources conflict, but Israel claimed to have
destroyed 442 aircraft and to have lost "several hundred" to Arab opposition
in the nineteen day Yom Kippur war.  During the "Rolling Thunder" air
campiagn in Vietnam in 1972, the United States lost more than 900 aircraft
to North Vietnam defences.  The Falklands fighting resulted in an Argentinian
attrition rate of between 15 and 22% of sorties flown.
	At the time of writing [14 March 1991] the Coalition forces in the
Gulf had flown some 65,000+ sorties, for the loss of only 18 aircraft.  This
is a loss rate of only .02769%."

	And this is what piqued my curiorisity.  Even in peacetime exercises
of the intensity of Operation Desert Storm, loss rates would be much higher
(I am not sure, exactly how much, but my memory seems to remember attrition
rates of at least 1-2%) if nothing more due to accidents.  As strikes
flown during Desert Storm were against heavily defended targets, and I would
presume integrated defense systems making extensive use of Flak and SAM's,
why weren't the losses higher?  I think it is obvious that the whole truth
of the number of actual losses of aircraft during Desert Storm is yet to come
out.  What do others on the net think?

	[I doubt the air defenses were very integrated after the first
	 night, and my understanding is that only F-117s went into
	 Baghdad.  Remember everyone, sci.military's charter is purely
	 technical, so replies (preferably with references) detailing
	 reasons why the loss per sortie was so low are welcome,
	 opinions, discussions and flames regarding "whole truth of the
	 number of actual losses" should go to alt.desert-storm. --CDR]

Brian Ross

scott@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (04/03/91)

>[I doubt the air defenses were very integrated after the first
> night, and my understanding is that only F-117s went into
> Baghdad.  --CDR]

Actually, I believe I recall more than one pilot being interviewd on TV who
  said they had flown over Baghdad (they weren't F117 pilots).  I believe one
  was a Strike Eagle pilot who was on the first raid.  Although I'm not
  positive about this, I'm pretty sure.  He was describing the "Fourth of July"
  analogy and explaining how he had to force himself to concentrate on his
  mission because the AA fire was such an awesome sight.

In any case, I would like to hear a confirmation either way on this question...

	[Me too.  I believe that was Lt. Col Don Kline, who said
	 "It was an awesome display, it truly was."  I don't recall
	 whether he overflew Baghdad or saw it from afar. --CDR]

On Iraqi air defenses ...

There are many factors contributing to the ineffectiveness of the Iraqi air
  defenses.

First, most of the Iraqi fixed EWR (early warning radar) sites were knocked
  out after the first few raids.  This allowed subsequent strikes to be short-
  notice suprises for the Iraqis during the rest of the war.

Also, most of the Iraqi SAMs were old, outdated low-performance systems which
  were somewhat vulnerable to countermeasures.

Although the Iraqi's had vast quantities of AAA, these were not often a factor
  since most allied raids were conducted above their effective altitude.
  When coaltion aircraft did fly into the AAA threat envelopes, the defending
  guns weren't often able to significantly damage the attackers, even though
  they managed to score some hits.  Also, many of the raids were conducted at
  night-time when most of the AAA was virtually useless.  Radar AAA is also
  subject to both active and passive electronic countermeasures as employed by
  ALQ pods, the EA-6 Prowler, and the EF-111 Raven.

Also, much use was made of iron-hand support in which dedicated aircraft
  specifically engage and suppress local air defenses while other attack craft
  go after the real targets.  Such missions often employ anti-radiation
  missiles like HARM which are very effective at attacking radar-emitting
  defense systems.

And, of course, everyone knows the Iraqis chose not to use their air force,
  leaving the coalition with free roam of the skies.

Scott

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (04/03/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

My guess as to why air losses were so low is as follows:
1) The Iraqis really didn't think we'd attack.
2) Several of their early warning radars and SAM sites were taken out by
Tomahawks before any aircraft crossed the border.
3) None of the Iraqi's Surface to Air weaponry is the most up to date,
i.e. we had the best information available on how to jam and/or trick
the missile system.
4) The Iraqi air defense system was never designed to handle so many
aircraft at one time.  The largest air raid launched by Iran during that
war had about 20 planes in it.  We sent over 1000 in the first attacks.
5) The Iraqis were so stunned by the quick destruction of most of their
air defense systems that those that remained operational had operators
that feared turning on their radars because then they'd be attacked.
and
6) The Iraqi air force was totally ineffective, meaning that we faced
zero air to air threats.

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (04/04/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov

In BXR307@CSC.ANU.EDU.AU writes...
>[According to a paper given] by a Dr. John McCarthy on "Air Power as History".
>... During the "Rolling Thunder" air
>campiagn in Vietnam in 1972, the United States lost more than 900 aircraft
>to North Vietnam defences.

I find this loss hard to  believe since Rolling Thunder was a campaign over
North Vietnam that lasted only a few weeks.  Most U.S. air losses were rotary-
wing losses over South Vietnam.   Are there any references that would confirm
the 900 losses?

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.edu (John H. Kim) (04/04/91)

From: "John H. Kim" <jokim@jarthur.Claremont.edu>

In article <1991Apr4.042539.12947@amd.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:
>5) The Iraqis were so stunned by the quick destruction of most of their
>air defense systems that those that remained operational had operators
>that feared turning on their radars because then they'd be attacked.

I distinctly recall one reporter saying that the increased allied
artillery fire just prior to the ground war had an extra bonus:
Some of the Iraqi soldiers manning the air defenses mistook the
artillery as the beginning of the ground war and turned on their
radars to pick up the expected ground support aircraft.  This was
quickly followed by coalition bombs and HARMs.

As for the accuracy of the Pentagon aircraft loss figures, I did
a statistical analysis based on the POWs the Iraqis showed on TV.
I've since deleted that analysis but here's the premise and result
of it:  Since the Pentagon released MIA names before the Iraqis
showed the POWs on TV, any MIAs the Pentagon was keeping secret
had a chance of showing up as a POW.  All the POWs were on the MIA
list, so I calculated the probability of this occurring if there
actually were "secret" MIAs.  The chances that the Pentagon was
revealing only half the planes they lost was less than 1%.  The
chances that the Pentagon was revealing only 2 of every 3 planes
lost was less than 5%.

The two objections were:  The Iraqis could be hiding such "secret"
MIAs, which I dismissed because I couldn't think of any reason why
they would want to do this.  And the Pentagon could be withholding
the names of any airmen whose planes went up in balls of fire and
were definitely KIA.  I recalled hearing somewhere that most pilots
are able to bail out when their planes were hit, but I posted the
question in sci.military.  I never got a straight answer.
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever

shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Shirriff) (04/05/91)

From: shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Shirriff)

A  main reason for low Allied air losses is that the Iraqi air defenses
were very poor, as was shown in the Iran-Iraq war.  A few quotes from
"The Gulf and the Search for Strategic Stability" (A. Cordesman, 1984)
make this clear:

"Neither side [Iran, Iraq] has shown much proficiency in sophisticated
air defense.  The Iranians discovered early in the war that small,
low-flying F-4 formations could strike virtually at will anywhere
in Iraq.  It is clear that Iran was able to fly under [Iraqi
defenses] and outmaneuver them without extensive use of sophisticated
electronic countermeasures.

"There is no doubt that the Iraqis -- all public claims to the contrary --
are deeply unhappy about the quality of the air defense radars and C3I
systems they bought from the USSR.

"It would seem that Iraq has bought the SA-2, SA-3, and SA-6 without
getting the technical help, C3I links, sensors, and siting assistance to
really make them effective.

"The Iraqis have been forced to rely on earth mounds, other passive defenses
such as barrage balloons, and AA guns to protect their cities, oil
facilities, industries, and other rear installations.

Ken Shirriff				shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

scott@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (04/06/91)

From: scott@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)

shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Shirriff) writes:
> "It would seem that Iraq has bought the SA-2, SA-3, and SA-6 without
> getting the technical help, C3I links, sensors, and siting assistance to
> really make them effective.

I don't think the Iraqi's had many SA-6's.  Those are pretty dangerous systems
  (though not very maneuverable, they are fast, long range, have a large
  warhead, and I believe they have optical or laser backup).

However, if the Iraqis did have any, they probably didn't last very long after
  the first use...

--
Scott Silvey
scott@xcf.berkeley.edu

leem@jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Lee Mellinger) (04/11/91)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Lee Mellinger)

In article <1991Apr4.042518.12876@amd.com> scott@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) writes:
:>[I doubt the air defenses were very integrated after the first
:> night, and my understanding is that only F-117s went into
:> Baghdad.  --CDR]
:
:Actually, I believe I recall more than one pilot being interviewd on TV who
:  said they had flown over Baghdad (they weren't F117 pilots).  I believe one
:  was a Strike Eagle pilot who was on the first raid.
:In any case, I would like to hear a confirmation either way on this question...
:Scott

A recent issue of AvLeak, last week I believe, had a statement by what
I remember was an Air Force official who said that ONLY F-117A's were
allowed to attack targets inside the city limits of Bahgdad.  He also
related a story about an F-117A having an Iraqi Mirage F-1 on his 6
o'clock.  He altered his course a few degrees and the Mirage kept to
the original heading, apparently never seeing him or picking him up on
radar.

--
Lee F. Mellinger                 Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/393-5980  FTS 977-5980

Charles.K.Scott@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Charles K. Scott) (04/13/91)

From: Charles.K.Scott@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Charles K. Scott)

In article <1991Apr4.042557.13016@amd.com>
smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

> I find this loss hard to  believe since Rolling Thunder was a campaign over
> North Vietnam that lasted only a few weeks.  Most U.S. air losses were rotary-
> wing losses over South Vietnam.   Are there any references that would confirm
> the 900 losses?

I just looked up the official beginning and ending dates of "Rolling
Thunder" in an Air Force history book.  They quote the beginning date
as March 65, and the ending date as November 68.  That's two years and
eight months.  The 900 losses figure I've seen often, but it's usually
referred to as the figure for total losses during the entire war.
Scary enough though.

Corky Scott