[sci.military] Patriot

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (01/25/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

    The Patriot Tactical Air Defense Missile System is a medium and
    high altitude ground-to-air system.  It's mobile, all-weather, with
    a high-kill probability, fast reaction time, and multiple target
    engagement capability.  It's designed to operate in an intense
    countermeasures environment.   It was designed to replace the Hawk.

    The combat element of the system is the fire unit which consists of
    a radar set, an engagement control station, a power plant, and up to
    eight remotely located launchers.  The system is highly automated
    combining high-speed digital processing with various software routines
    to effectively control the battlespace.  The single phased-array radar
    provides for all tactical functions of airspace surveillance, target
    detection and track, and support of missile guidance.  It uses a
    command guidance through midcourse, with terminal guidance provided by
    "track-via-missile".  As the missile nears its target, it informs the
    ground-based radar of its location in relation to the target.  Ground
    based computers then direct the missile on a path to ensure a kill.

    The only manned element of the fire unit during battle is the engagement
    control station which provides human interface for control of automated
    operations.

    Each launcher contains four ready-to-fire missiles, sealed in canisters,
    which also serve as shipping containers and launch tubes.

    Product improvements include the antitactical ballistic missile
    capability known as PAC-1 and PAC-2 which consisted of system radar
    software modifications that enable the detection, tracking, and
    interception of high-angle approach short-range ballistic missiles.
    PAC-1 was completed in 1988 - PAC-2 is scheduled to be completed in 1991.

    ---------------------

    Seven Patriot battalions were deployed to US Forces in Europe.

    The first foreign sale of Patriot was to the Netherlands in 1984, with
    delivery in March 1986.  Patriot is also being deployed extensively
    in Germany - delivered in December 1986.  Japan is licensed to produce
    Patriot with hardware delivered in June 1987.  Italy will be receiving
    Patriot in 1990s and will be producing some hardware.

    ----------------------

    Origin:         Raytheon
    Dimensions:     Length 209in, diameter 16in, span 36in
    Launch weight:  about 1,500lbs
    Propulsion:     Thiokol TX-486 single thrust motor
    Range:          about 48Km
    Flight Speed:   about Mach 3
    Warhead:        Conventional blast/frag

    The US had hoped to buy 103 fire units and 6,200 missiles ($6 billion)

    -----------------------

    Sources:
    US Army Weapons Systems Research, Development, and Acquisition (1986)
    US Army Green Book (1990-1991)
    The US War Machine, Rev (1988)

    Mike Schmitt

    We used to call air defenders "Cloud Busters", now we'll have to call
    them "Scud Busters".

agates@mainz-emh2.army.mil (Allen Gates) (04/11/91)

From: Allen Gates <agates@mainz-emh2.army.mil>

> Scott@xcf.berkeley.edu
> "I saw a lot of Patriots explode on launch..."

It has been ten years since I designed the canister/launcher production
facility for MM in Baltimore, but if I remember correctly the end covers
are removed at ignition by pressure built up within the container. Explode?

As an old Ind Engr I vaguely remember that to get a sucker that matches the
weight of a Patriot moving in excess of MACH 1 that close to the ground you
require a lot of force.  Controlled explosion maybe...plus sonic boom...loud.

I do know a launch does get your attention.

Al Gates

scott@xcf.berkeley.edu (04/12/91)

From: scott@xcf.berkeley.edu

agates@mainz-emh2.army.mil (Allen Gates) writes:
> It has been ten years since I designed the canister/launcher production
> facility for MM in Baltimore, but if I remember correctly the end covers
> are removed at ignition by pressure built up within the container. Explode?
> I do know a launch does get your attention.

No, I am aware of the fairly explosive launch mechanism.  I mean EXPLODE.
There is one shot in particular that I remember where the first round goes
up with another closely following (common case).  However, about a few
hundred feet in the air, the follow-on missile detonated in a huge shower
of flame and sparks (looked very much like a Fourth of July display), while
the initial round continued to climb and impact on it's target.

There were a lot of other shots where one of the two missiles would flail
in a low tragectory and impact on the ground a few kilometers away.  These
shots were so common, I'm suprised nobody else seems to be aware of what
I'm referring to.

--
Scott Silvey
scott@xcf.berkeley.edu

stevenp@decwrl.pa.dec.com (Steven Philipson) (04/17/91)

From: stevenp@decwrl.pa.dec.com (Steven Philipson)

scott@xcf.berkeley.edu writes;
[re: Patriot exploding during launch]
> There is one shot in particular that I remember where the first round goes
> up with another closely following (common case).  However, about a few
> hundred feet in the air, the follow-on missile detonated in a huge shower
> of flame and sparks (looked very much like a Fourth of July display), while
> the initial round continued to climb and impact on it's target.

   I saw ONE case similar to this that really bothers me.  This was
shown on CNN during a night intercept.  The *first* Patriot exploded
approximately four seconds after launch.  A second was fired and flew
through the overcast before disappearing from sight.  CNN (and other
networks that showed this footage) reported that the explosion was a
direct hit on an incoming SCUD.

   Aviation Week reports that most intercepts occur approximately 24
seconds after launch.  A direct hit only four seconds after launch
would indicate an extremely late launch.  There was also no visible
material moving in a path to the ground as would have been taken by
debris from a SCUD.  Such debris was clearly visible following many
other intercepts.

   The explosion pattern was quite large and bright, far more so than
for any other intercept that I've seen.  This one was the closest to the
camera though.  On the other hand, the explosion looked different in
kind -- it looked like a large spherical fireworks display.  My immediate
impression was that it was very similar to the Titan IV solid rocket
booster explosion at Vandenburg.  There seemed to be much more material
involved in this explosion than would be present with the detonation of
a fragmentation warhead.

   Aviation Week's description of Patriot operation mentions that
Patriots are launched in pairs.  Even if the first missile destroys
the target, the second will detonate agains the debris cloud.  If the
first missile was a direct hit, why did the second continue into the
overcast?  It would seem that either the first launch was a failure,
or the second missile failed to detonate at the correct point.

   My conclusion is that what we saw was the catastrophic explosion of
a Patriot booster.  If the press was told that this was a direct hit,
then they were being supplied with misinformation.

   This failure does not mean that the Patriot is not a good system,
but simply that there are failures occurring that the military is not
talking about, and that are significant to the operation of this
weapon.

   I called AP and suggested that they follow up on this, but have not
heard anything back from them.  I would appreciate hearing about any
articles about this case that anyone on the net has seen.

--
Steve
stevenp@decwrl.dec.com

PAPAI@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai) (04/18/91)

From: PAPAI@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai)

More Patriot stuff, with references:

>From the "Wall Street Journal", 15 APR 19, page A16

BEGIN QUOTE
Scud Score Card
Scud missiles fired by Iraq that reached populated areas
within Israel during the Gulf War:

Date   Number of SCUDS    Target    Dead  Wounded    Apartments Damaged

Jan 18		6	Tel Aviv      0     68          1009
Jan 18		2        Haifa        0      0           100
Jan 19		5       Tel Aviv      0     47          1589

Jan 20     Patroits Deployed

Jan 22          1        Ramat Gan    3     96          1726
Jan 23          1       Haifa         0      0           900
Jan 25          6   Metro Tel Aviv    1     44          4156
Jan 25          1       Haifa         0      0           700
Feb 9           1   Metro Tel Aviv    0     27          1111
Feb 12          1   Metro Tel Aviv    0      7           436

Sources:  Ma'ariv; Avner Cohen, MIT

"  Squables between Israeli and American Patriot operators were part of
the reason for the damage, say officials involved.  In one instance,
the order to fire wasn't given until it was too late to hit the SCUD.
In at least one other instance, the operators fired the Patriots
at such a low altitude that they followed a Scud part to the ground,
where they all exploded.  The Patriot wasn't designed to protect cities
in Israel, says an Army spokesman, because it 'couldn't keep
debris from landing.' "
END OF QUOTE

The article goes on to discuss the political reasons behind the
pro-Patriot assessment of the Army and the anti-Patriot assessment of
the Israelies, including the Israeli Arrow project.

The scuds apparently all broke up on re-entry to the atmosphere
because they were not designed for as large a range as they were fired.
This made a more difficult job of target acquisition for the Patriots.
Due to this breaking up into several pieces, MIT engineering professor
Joseph Shea, formerly of Raytheon, says "The Scud turned out to be
a sophisticated target, almost by accident".

Many more anecdotal stories about the Patriots and Scuds in the article.
How about the idea of a missile that releases several decoys
to distract anti-missile defence on purpose?

--
Jon Papai
Papai@kcgl.eng.ohio-state.edu

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (04/18/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

PAPAI@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai) writes:
>Many more anecdotal stories about the Patriots and Scuds in the article.
>How about the idea of a missile that releases several decoys
>to distract anti-missile defence on purpose?

Yeah, just what we need -- MIRVed SCUDs!  If you're going to add the weight
and space of decoys, why not just add more explosives?  My not fragment them,
making multiple targets -- EACH with the capacity to inflict damage.

This line of logic is what led to the development of MIRVs (back in the
days of good ol' fashioned exoatmospheric nuclear-tipped interceptors like
the SPRINT and SPARTAN); except with ICBMs the decoys had a tendency to
fall behind the more massive warhead during reentry due to air resistance.
To counter this, the decoys became more and more similar to the warheads
themselves, leading to what is regarded as the single most destabilizing
technological development of the nuclear age.

-shane
	[ 10 lines of ascii cartoon signature deleted. --CDR ]