[sci.military] film quality in gun cameras

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (04/17/91)

From: det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer)

[Bill, er, ah, i mean Carl, I'm not sure if this should go to sci.military
or soc.history...]

I have noticed that German gun camera footage of WWII air combat seems
to be pretty uniformly of poorer quality than US gun camera footage.
(It is a lot more grainy and darker for starters)  Has anyone else
noticed this and does anyone know the reason for this?  I would have
thought that the germans, as meticulous as they are, would have had
better film.  Or was the shortage of "strategic" materials (like
silver?) responsible for the lower quality?  Or was it a deliberate
policy on the part of the air force equivalent of OKH (or whatever)?
Perhaps they didn't think it was worth it?
Did all that gun camera footage shot in WWII significantly affect
tactics and/or weapons development?

Moving on to somewhat more modern times, I assume that we still have, as
a rule, gun cameras on our (US) fighters.  What kind of film is used and
why?  How much film (physical length as well as time duration) is loaded?
Is the camera only on when the gun is actually firing or is there also some
trailer that is shot as well, i.e., for a few seconds after the gun has
stopped firing to possibly see the resulting damage, if any?

Enough questions for now, thanks.

derek

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (04/19/91)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Derek E. Terveer (det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG) writes:
> Moving on to somewhat more modern times, I assume that we still have, as
> a rule, gun cameras on our (US) fighters.

No, there are no more gun cameras in fighters.

> What kind of film is used and
> why?  How much film (physical length as well as time duration) is loaded?

No film, video tape.  The standard 2/4/6 hr VHS tapes that you use at
home.  The HUD camera is also recorded onto this kind of tape.  The
only difference is that it's black and white.  It also tends to be a
little tacky, with the frame sync bit kind of goofy.  There's also a
herringbone pattern that sometimes appears.

One corroberation of this is how quickly they had the gun/missile/weapon
camera film to show at the briefings.  It takes a while to convert from
film to video and this lag would have showed up.  It also looked like
video and I've watched a certain amount of this stuff.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA