[sci.military] Any news on the ATF

darrell@sequoia.ucsc.edu (Darrell Long) (04/18/91)

From: darrell@sequoia.ucsc.edu (Darrell Long)

I heard that the fly-off was supposed to be this month.  Anyone have
any news on if it happened and what the results were?

Thanks, DL

wjh@wayback.att.com (William J Hery) (04/19/91)

From: wjh@wayback.att.com (William J Hery)

>I heard that the fly-off was supposed to be this month.  Anyone have
>any news on if it happened and what the results were?

All test flights of the YF-22 and YF-23 were conducted between July 1990
and January 1991, including all Air Force flights. Northrop and Lockheed
proposals were submitted Jan 1, 1991.

The winner is scheduled to be announced at a Pentagon briefing at 4 PM
on Tuesday, April 23.

The Northrop team is hoping that the date selected is symbolic :-)

Bill Hery
AT&T Bell Labs
201-386-2362
att!wayback!wjh