[sci.military] hi angle clarification

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (04/14/91)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Mail from *another* Field Artillery type who can't post directly,
Tim Duggan <TIM.DUGGAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM>:

-------------
       Strictly speaking, High Angle is the range of elevations in which
an increase in elevation will cause a corresponding decrease in range.  In a
perfect world, this would always occur at 800(!) mils or 45 degrees.
Hi angle usually occurs fairly close to 800 mils - most firing tables also
contain entries in this range - the Probable Error in Range is listed
alongside so that the observer and FDO can judge for themselves what is
unacceptable.

          a GUN is a direct fire weapon

          a HOWITZER is a direct and indirect fire weapon that fires
                     both low and high angle

          a MORTAR is an indirect fire weapon that fires high angle only

The above definitions are perfect for explaining the differences between the
cannons on tanks, artillery, and anti-aircraft weapons... if only all of my
peers would stop referring to howitzers as guns!   :-)

- Tim Duggan

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (04/18/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

>a GUN is a direct fire weapon
>a HOWITZER is a direct and indirect fire weapon that fires
>	both low and high angle
>a MORTAR is an indirect fire weapon that fires high angle only

So, how do you classify the Soviet 152mm Gun-Howitzer?

And, I believe the old 175mm Artillery piece was a "gun" not a
howitzer.

mts

cmort@ncoast.org (04/18/91)

From: cmort@ncoast.org

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>>a GUN is a direct fire weapon
>>a HOWITZER is a direct and indirect fire weapon that fires
>>	both low and high angle
>>a MORTAR is an indirect fire weapon that fires high angle only
>
>So, how do you classify the Soviet 152mm Gun-Howitzer?

Just because you CAN fire a howitzer in direct fire mode, that doesn't
necessarily mean that that's a particularly effective mode of employment.
You can also fire an 81mm mortar direct fire too, as proven by the 81mm/.50
mounts on Swift Boats.  Presumeably, the 152mm can fire in both modes with
reasonable effectiveness.

>And, I believe the old 175mm Artillery piece was a "gun" not a
>howitzer.

It was indeed classifed as a gun.  As I recall, it's accuracy was considered
disappointing.  I also believe that it shared a carriage with another gun,
probably the 8" howitzer.

cmort@ncoast.org --- Chris Morton
"Well just whose opinions do you THINK these are?"

thos@suite.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (04/19/91)

From: thos@suite.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>> [Gun, Howitzer & mortar definitions ]
>So, how do you classify the Soviet 152mm Gun-Howitzer?

Dunno, guess the Soviets must be confused. ;^) Possibly used in various
roles depending on the ammunition and charge (see below).

>And, I believe the old 175mm Artillery piece was a "gun" not a howitzer.

Guns can be of any size - 15" in the case of the USS Missouri et al.
According to (all chorus... Ian Hogg ) a Gun is generally a piece of
artillery that fires a projectile at high velocity with a relatively
flat trajectory - certainly less than 45 deg, and uses a limited range
of cartridge options. Although AA guns are allowed to fire over 45deg I
believe ;^)

A Howitzer is a piece of artillery capable of firing at angles greater
than 45 deg, and at a low velocity. It has a propellant charge capable
of being adjusted to for size to give a number of trajectory options,
all of which describe a high path to pass over intervening obstacles and
reacah behind cover to drop the shell on the target. Compared with a gun
of the same calibre, the howitzer fires a heavier shell at lower
velocity and has a shorter range.

Mortars are strictly speaking, any ordnance that can fire only at angles
greater than 45deg.

--
thos cohen
UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!thos