[sci.military] Nuclear powered rocket

x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT) (04/04/91)

From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT)

Does anyone out there know anything about the recently report DOD atom
splitting high energinic engines.  The NEW YORK TIMES reported a little article
on this 3 APR 1991.  It sound very interesting, but very few details were
given.

I remember some program back in the 50s-60s era of a nuclear rocket engine that
left radioactive material all over the atmosphere.  Anyone know how this new
idea would work without imitting radioactive particles everywhere and what
would happen in a wreck????

Sounds neccessary for high load launches and long range missions like to Mars,
but how close in time are we to really doing this?

	[The article says the code name for the program is Timberwind,
	 and it has a specific impulse of "more than 900 seconds", twice
	 that of the space shuttle's main engines.  You might have more
	 luck with this question on sci.space. --CDR]

Charles K. Bergman
CDT USMA '93
x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu
x35147d3@usma8-emh2.army.mil
P.O. Box 54
U.S. Corps of Cadets
West Point, NY 10997

rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) (04/18/91)

From: rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton)

>I remember some program back in the 50s-60s era of a nuclear rocket engine that
>left radioactive material all over the atmosphere.  Anyone know how this new
>idea would work without imitting radioactive particles everywhere and what
>would happen in a wreck????

The name of the project was Project Pluto - there was a lot of detail
in an article in "Air & Space" magazine (associated with the Smithsonian)
sometime within the last year.  The issue got put in the circular file
in a fit of cleaning, but was very interesting.  The author was one
of the participants in the project.

Hope this helps shed some light on the older project.

	[Hmm, sounds like Project Orion.  You're better off
	 asking in sci.space anyway. --CDR]

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (04/19/91)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu

>From: rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton)
>>I remember some program back in the 50s-60s era of a nuclear rocket engine that
>>left radioactive material all over the atmosphere...
>The name of the project was Project Pluto...
>	[Hmm, sounds like Project Orion.  You're better off
>	 asking in sci.space anyway. --CDR]

Actually this confuses two separate projects, and asking about Project Pluto
in sci.space might be unproductive.

Project Orion was a (large!) rocket propelled by nuclear bombs.  Fallout
from an Orion launch would have been comparable to a single atmospheric
hydrogen bomb test, and it would have launched several thousand tons of
payload into orbit.  Despite some attempts to get funding out of the
military, Orion was basically a civilian space project.

Project Pluto was an intercontinental cruise missile powered by a nuclear
ramjet, with a cruising speed of Mach 3 at sea level and an essentially
infinite range.  This is what the Air&Space article was about.  Pluto was
undertaken more or less as a backup project when ICBMs still looked iffy.
The extremely high speed would have made it fiercely difficult to intercept.
Design work got as far as a test firing of an experimental (not flight
ready) engine, which worked.  The success of the ICBM projects removed much
of the need for Pluto, and certain practical problems started to get more
attention:  it was decidedly unstealthy, the need to fly it over friendly
territory to reach the Soviet Union was troublesome because its radiation
(an unshielded gigawatt reactor) and shock wave were lethal to anything
near its path, and the final nail in its coffin was the impossibility of
testing it safely.

--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (04/19/91)

From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov

In article <1991Apr19.070810.13753@amd.com>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu writes...

>Project Orion was a (large!) rocket propelled by nuclear bombs.  Fallout
>from an Orion launch would have been comparable to a single atmospheric
>hydrogen bomb test, and it would have launched several thousand tons of
>payload into orbit.  Despite some attempts to get funding out of the
>military, Orion was basically a civilian space project.

Freeman Dyson, "Disturbing the Universe," and John McPhee, "The Curve
of Binding Energy" are two readable and readily available books that
discuss (among other things) Project Orion.  The basics are pretty much
as Mr. Spencer describes.  Yes, nuclear _bombs_ for propulsion.  The
bottom of the ship would have been a massive parabolic "pusher plate."
The idea was tested on a very small scale with chemical explosives.

The USAF was quite interested, and envisioned, says McPhee, a space
battleship with maneuvering systems and weapons.  (He described the
basic postulated defensive tactic of a nuclear-bomb-powered spaceship
as turning the pusher plate toward the enemy -- "Go ahead, hit me.")

Science fiction writers Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven co-opted the
idea for their novel "Footfall."

--Joe