[sci.military] French Carriers

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) (04/18/91)

From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)

Some quick quesions about the new French nuclear carriers?

Is the deGaulle proceding on schedule, will it be commissioned on time?

What will the air wing consist of? Will they still fly Super Etendards, and Crusaders of them? Will they still fly the Alize or will they be replaced?

Thanks for any info
Alex

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (04/20/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) writes:
>What will the air wing consist of? Will they still fly Super
>Etendards, and Crusaders of them?

The new carrier will fly the Rafale multi-role aircraft. The Crusaders
are being fixed up once again so they can last until the Rafale
arrives. The fix up doesn't aim to do much except keep them flying.

>Will they still fly the Alize or will they be replaced?

According to the USNI Proceedings March 1991, the new carrier will
probably fly rebuilt Grumman S-2s with the French Vigil K-band
radar. However, they are envisioned as filling a primarily AEW role.
Certainly, though, there will be helicopters available for carrier
ASW.

The Alize is being modernized again with some increase in capability
and to extend its life. Presumably, they will retire once the rebuilt
S-2s appear.

--
Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek

bureau@math.arizona.edu (Pierre Bureau) (04/20/91)

From: bureau@math.arizona.edu (Pierre Bureau)

>From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)
>Some quick quesions about the new French nuclear carriers?
>Is the deGaulle proceding on schedule, will it be commissioned on time?

Yes, it is. Should be completed and commissioned in 1999
(but this is already 4 years later than the initial 1984 schedule.)

According to an article recently published in the french news magazin
"EXPRESS", provisions for a second carrier have been deposed and
parliement sould vote next year for the construction of that 2nd CV.
Both will be 50,000 t.

>What will the air wing consist of? Will they still fly Super Etendards,
>and Crusaders of them? Will they still fly the Alize or will they be replaced?

The air wing should include at least 35 "Navy" version of the Rafale
advance fighter. There's a debate on wheter buying 2 or only one wing
for both. Plane maker, Dassault is lobbying for the French Navy to
order 80 planes.

There's been quite a controversy on the "Navy" Rafale.  The French Navy
had been looking forward to replace their obsolete crusaders since the
early 80s. The french admirals were interested in buying F-18 and even
starting a joint venture through Dassault and Aerospatiale to develop
special avionics for the F18.

After Dassault's failure to get the bulk of the contract for the
european advanced fighter (around 86), Dassault and the top french air
force generals lobbied in order to have the Navy to adopt the Rafale as
their fighter [evocating the need of a numerous series to cut costs].

The navy admirals opposed this scheme, since the Rafale wont be ready
before 1996 at the soonest. They intended to get F-18 for 1990 but
Dassault's lobby won the decision.

Until 96 the french navy will be using ageing crusaders (BTW Dassault
also won a $300 millions to retrofit the F8 w/ new avionics) that need
30 hours maintenance for 1 light hour...  Besides, there aint that many
remaining crusaders, bought in 84.  A french commission recently came
to DM-AFB in Tucson to get the last remaining crusaders that had been
stored there for 14 years.

Pierre

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (04/23/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>Is the deGaulle proceding on schedule, will it be commissioned on time?

CHARLES DE GAULLE was laid down 24 April 1989, and is scheduled to be
launched in 1996 and commissioned in 1998.

>What will the air wing consist of? Will they still fly Super Etendards, and Cru
>saders of them? Will they still fly the Alize or will they be replaced?

The Super Etendards are included in the plans.   Other than that, I
think no one really knows what types of aircrafts will be utilized since
the commissioning date is still 7 years away.

Steve Williams