[sci.military] Aircraft shock waves

Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca (04/19/91)

From: Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca

A recent posting about a mercifully unrealized plan for a hypersonic
nuclear-engined cruise missile reminded me of a long-time puzzlement.
Fiction and some fact literature talks about the ground and shipboard
damage that can be caused by supersonic or hypersonic aircraft at low
altitudes.  But where is all the energy coming from?  The plane only
has the chemical energy in its fuel tanks to both complete its mission
and do all this desired or undesired damage.  Is this energy really
sufficient to leave a trail of destruction across hundreds or thousands
of km of the Earth's surface?

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (04/22/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From: Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca
>Fiction and some fact literature talks about the ground and shipboard
>damage that can be caused by supersonic or hypersonic aircraft at low
>altitudes.  But where is all the energy coming from?  The plane only
>has the chemical energy in its fuel tanks to both complete its mission
>and do all this desired or undesired damage.  Is this energy really
>sufficient to leave a trail of destruction across hundreds or thousands
>of km of the Earth's surface?

It really doesn't take a lot of pressure to wreak havoc on normal standing
structures.  A brick wall can only withstand peak overpressures of about
five psi.  (A one-megaton bomb at an altitude of one mile will create such
overpressures at seven to eight miles away from ground zero!  Remember that
such intensities are inversely proportional to the SQUARE of the distance.)
Any supersonic vehicle will create a shockwave like this:

		      \
		        \
		          \
		============>
			  /
                        /
                      /

where the angle of the shockwave to the horizontal is equal to
45 degrees divided by the mach number.

Since the vehicle is travelling at a velocity greater than or equal to
the speed of sound, the sound energy will accumulate along the leading
edge of the shockwave (rather than dissipate into the atmosphere as with
subsonic aircraft) creating high overpressures.  This is colloquially
known as the "sonic boom" -- when the shock wave passes a certain point
on the ground, all of that sound energy is heard at once.

So, for a low-flying aircraft, all of that energy is building up on the
shockwave.  A low-flying supersonic aircraft, then, can cause considerable
damage by overflying such objects as ships, buildings, even other aircraft!
Even peak overpressures as low a two or three psi can make a wooden build-
ing collapse onto itself....

-shane

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca
>Fiction and some fact literature talks about the ground and shipboard
>damage that can be caused by supersonic or hypersonic aircraft at low
>altitudes.  But where is all the energy coming from? ...

	[Don't start paragraph's with From, please!
	 It fools the digesting software into thinking
	 its a mail header. --CDR]

[F]rom the aircraft's engines.  Those shock waves represent huge amounts
of drag; the engines have to push both the aircraft and the shock waves
through the air.

>... Is this energy really
>sufficient to leave a trail of destruction across hundreds or thousands
>of km of the Earth's surface?

If it's a sufficiently powerful engine, yes.  The Pluto cruise missile
(would have) had a one-gigawatt reactor driving it.  Conventional jet
engines run out of fuel very quickly at max power, and consequently
conventional jet aircraft spend little or no time at supersonic speeds
(let alone Pluto's Mach 3!) at low altitude.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry