[sci.military] Genie

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (01/12/90)

From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)
>platforms. They were all designed, according to what I have read, as
>
>interceptors against large bomber formations. With that in mind, I know
>the F-101 and probably the others carried the Genie  nuclear air-to-air

Is there a real difference between a 'rocket' and a missile?  It was my
impression that a rocket was unguided, while a missile had some sort
of guidance system.  Granted, the word 'missile' can mean anything
flying thru the air, and can be misleading, but when speaking specifically
about AAM's, it seems like the distinction should be kept.  Wasn't the
Genie an >unguided< nuclear air-to-air rocket?  (GAWD! The thought of
a free-flight nuclear air-to-air weapon chills me right through!).

Chris

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/14/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)
>Is there a real difference between a 'rocket' and a missile?  It was my
>impression that a rocket was unguided, while a missile had some sort
>of guidance system...

That's the usual usage.  Unguided rockets actually work tolerably well,
*if* you don't insist on direct hits on small targets.  They're still in
fairly extensive use for ground attack.

>... Wasn't the
>Genie an >unguided< nuclear air-to-air rocket?  (GAWD! The thought of
>a free-flight nuclear air-to-air weapon chills me right through!).

That's right, Genie was unguided.  This wasn't quite as creepy as it sounds,
because the range was relatively short and warhead detonation was by command
from the launch aircraft rather than by proximity fuze.  Command detonation
was considered mandatory (as for nuclear torpedos) because of the positive-
control policies for nuclear weapons.  The short range didn't make pilots
very happy, and there was much holding of breath when Genie was tested
with a live warhead for the first time, although in fact it worked fine
and the launch aircraft had no problems.  (The original nuclear torpedo
was similarly unpopular, with the submariners crediting it with a kill
rate of 200% -- target plus attacker.)  Genie was the definitive response
to bomber-formation tactics, since a Genie burst in the middle of a bomber
box could be expected to wipe out the entire formation.  Its operational
deployment therefore was the definitive end of such tactics.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

VIRGO: :GUNTER@FENNEL.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (04/20/91)

From: "VIRGO::GUNTER"@FENNEL.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)

>1) Does anyone have any statistics for the Genie missle.
>   (Actually, it's not guided so it's not really a missle.)

MD AIR-2 Genie (ex Douglas MB-1,ex Ding-Dong,ex High Card,ex Bird Dog)

Unguided Air to Air Nuclear Rocket

9.7ft L
1.535ft Diameter
3.35ft Span
820lbs
Mach 3
6 Mile Range
Thiokol SR49-TC-1 solid fuel 36,500lb rocket engine
1.5 kT Fission Warhead
1,000 + produced (ended 1962),none operational after 1987
Launched from Scorpions,Delta Daggers,Delta Darts,Voodoos,Phantoms
1 live test shot 07:00 19-JUL-1957 Nevada Nuclear Testing Range
	Operation Plumbomb Test Shot John
	missile detonated after 2.6miles/4.5seconds
Canadian's used Genies as well

>2) Does anyone know of any other nuclear missles or rockets
>   used by any nation.

Hughes AIM-26A Falcon radar homing air to air missile

craigb@sdd.hp.com (Craig Bosworth) (04/20/91)

From: craigb@sdd.hp.com (Craig Bosworth)

VIRGO::GUNTER@FENNEL.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:
(About the Genie rocket)
>6 Mile Range
>1.5 kT Fission Warhead

Erm, which brings up the question, what happens to an aircraft (say the one
that launched the rocket) when a warhead of that size goes off at that
distance?

--
Craig Bosworth  (619) 592-8609
Hewlett-Packard, San Diego Division

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: craigb@sdd.hp.com (Craig Bosworth)
>>6 Mile Range
>>1.5 kT Fission Warhead
>Erm, which brings up the question, what happens to an aircraft (say the one
>that launched the rocket) when a warhead of that size goes off at that
>distance?

Nothing much; several miles is reasonably ample clearance for a warhead
that small.  It was tested, successfully.  (One of the very few live-warhead
tests of nuclear missiles, in fact.)
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry