[sci.military] Sweeping pressure mines

newcomb@world.std.com (Donald R Newcomb) (04/17/91)

From: newcomb@world.std.com (Donald R Newcomb)

Mark Kinney (kinney@wku.edu) writes:
>Country X proceded to fill several supertankers with
>styrofoam and send them into the Red Sea before his fleet. The theory was that
>the styrofoam would keep the ship afloat despite mine detonations, and would
>clear corridors for the fleet. Possible or not?

Of course, this is in no way a new idea. A very interesting article
in _Naval History_ (1) discusses U.S. Navy efforts to develop methods
for sweeping pressure mines. Mentioned are several Liberty ships
modified by filling with "refined versions of ping-pong balls." One,
the John L. Sullivan (YAG-37), was "fitted with a propulsion plant
consisting of four surplus T-54 turboprop airplane engines mounted
on the main deck, thus eliminating boilers, gearing, shafts, and
propellers as candidates for derangement."

The main feature of the article was XMAP-1, a 251 foot long, 28.5
foot diameter, 2880 ton, steel "cigar" designed to be towed through
a minefield to sweep magnetic, acoustic and pressure mines. The
"thing" proved to unwieldy and was scraped in 1964.

BTW this issue also has an article, with a picture, of the Wolverine
(IX-64) which was the subject of previous postings.

(1) Alden, John D., Cdr. USN (Ret), "The Indestructible XMAP", in
_Naval History_, Winter 1988, pp. 44-47.

Donald Newcomb
newcomb@world.std.com	(new personal mail address)
drn@pinet.aip.org	(still in use)

GNewsam@itd.dsto.oz.au (G.N. Newsam) (04/24/91)

From: GNewsam@itd.dsto.oz.au (G.N. Newsam)

> Mark Kinney (kinney@wku.edu) writes:
>>Country X proceded to fill several supertankers with
>>styrofoam and send them into the Red Sea before his fleet. The theory was
>>that the styrofoam would keep the ship afloat despite mine detonations,
>>and would clear corridors for the fleet. Possible or not?

I seem to remeber that in WWI the Royal Navy filled some obsolete
battleships with lumber and tried to use them to blast a way through the
forts and mines guarding the Dardanelles.  I believe that the forts were
down to the last few rounds when the attack was finally called off, to be
restarted later as the Gallipoli campaign.

G.N. Newsam

ANZUS:  The last line of defence for penguins.