[sci.military] Genie in Canada

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) (04/23/91)

From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)

According to my sources, the Genie AAM was withdrawn around
1982/1983 from Canadian service. It was operational on CF-101
Voodoos. I am not sure whether, the Genie was oprational on the
CF-100 Canuck. (FYI, the Canuck was an indihrnous design, first
flown in 1958. It was a straight winged fighter aircraft, operational
from 1958-1982, until the CF-18 took over. It was also exported to
Belgium)

That my contribution
Alex Klaus

vaivads@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Vic Vaivads) (04/24/91)

From: vaivads@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Vic Vaivads)

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) writes:
>According to my sources, the Genie AAM was withdrawn around
>1982/1983 from Canadian service. It was operational on CF-101
>Voodoos. I am not sure whether, the Genie was oprational on the
>CF-100 Canuck.

In Canada, the Genie was only operational on Voodoo's.

>               (FYI, the Canuck was an indihrnous design, first
>flown in 1958. It was a straight winged fighter aircraft, operational
>from 1958-1982, until the CF-18 took over. It was also exported to
>Belgium)

The CF-100 was Canada's main all-weather fighter in the late 50's and early
60's.  It was in production from 1954 to 1958.  The "Clunk", as it was
affectionately known, remained in front-line service until it was replaced
by the CF-101 and CF-104 in 1962-63.  Afterwards a number were converted to
reconnaisance, training, and electronic warfare roles.

The last CF-100's were retired in Sept. 1981, having served a long life as
ECM aircraft.  These were flown by 414 Squadron (The Black Knights) at North
Bay, Ont.  The service life of these aircraft was limited by airframe time,
with the life factor estimated at 5600 hrs.  When the CF-100's were retired
in 81 the times on the airframes varied from a low of 4934 hours to a high of
5569 hours.

For those interested there is a book specifically on the CF-100:
"Canuck CF-100 Fighter" by Ron D Page.  Published by Boston Mills Press.
I forgot to write down the ISBN, if anyone really wants it e-mail me.

--
Vic Vaivads      Gandalf Data Ltd, Nepean, Ontario    vaivads@gandalf.ca