[sci.military] Miscellaneous

Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca (04/12/91)

From: Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca

Several small items on different subjects:

1)  How effective were the Patriots?  By keeping Israel out of the war,
they probably saved the integrity of the Coalition, and thereby changed
the course of history.  They were The Few (see Battle of Britain) of
this war.

2)  How effective were the Stealth fighters?  If other planes were not
subjected to effective AA, was this not because the Stealths and
cruises got in first and dealt a suppressing blow to Iraqi AA from
which it never recovered?

3)  Horizontal and vertical range of artillery: I know the ocean slopes
only locally, but ground targets can be very uphill; what are the most
effective angles for hitting people who grabbed the high ground before
you did (and can heavy artillery, naval or land, elevate to those
angles)?  Also, what about the need to hit some targets in mortar mode,
from almost vertically?

4)  A civilian observer like me can be surprised at the amount of stuff
attached to the outside of tanks.  I guess some of it is reactive
armor.  What are the tubes that look like truncated mortars for?  Do
tankers, like infantrymen, tend to work on the principle of taking
anything along that could be useful, if it can be carried, and if so do
they just tie it on outside?

	[If those replying could answer the questions separately
	 and attach eaningful subjects on their replies I'm sure the
	 readership would be grateful.  --CDR]

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (04/12/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)

In article <1991Apr12.055056.13916@amd.com>, Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca writes:
>2)  How effective were the Stealth fighters?  If other planes were not
>subjected to effective AA, was this not because the Stealths and
>cruises got in first and dealt a suppressing blow to Iraqi AA from
>which it never recovered?

This is myth. The "hole" in Iraqi Air Defence was created by AH-64 Apache
helicopters using Hellfire missiles, with OH-58Ds used to illuminate the two
key search radars. From there, various strike packages fanned out into Iraq to
clean up town. Each strike package included electronic warfare planes (jammers)
and defense suppression (Wild Weasel).

If you can't see it, you can't shoot at it. Most of the radar-guided stuff was
rendered ineffective by jamming and by the threat of anti-radiation missiles,
such as HARM and ALARM. If you emit, you die.

Most things which were shot at by cruise missiles were also designated to be
bombed again by manned aircraft because planners didn't trust the cruise 100%
(very difficult to get an after-action report from this first-generation
missile :-).

--
sysmgr@cadlab.eng.umd.edu

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (04/13/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>4)  A civilian observer like me can be surprised at the amount of stuff
>attached to the outside of tanks.  I guess some of it is reactive
>armor.  What are the tubes that look like truncated mortars for?  Do
>tankers, like infantrymen, tend to work on the principle of taking
>anything along that could be useful, if it can be carried, and if so do
>they just tie it on outside?

Those truncated mortars you saw were most likely smoke grenade
launchers.  There isn't much room inside a tank after you put the crew
and ammunition for the main gun and the machine guns inside.  Things
like personal gear, rucksacks, extra track sections, spare road wheels,
more ammo, etc. can be stored on various points outside.

Reactive armor is pretty distinctive.  On US tanks, look for many flat
rectangular plates.  On Soviet tanks, their blocks are more numerous,
smaller, and more cubical in shape.

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213

bjohnson@athena.mit.edu (Brett W Johnson) (04/13/91)

From: bjohnson@athena.mit.edu (Brett W Johnson)

The tubes are smoke dispensers, something about the size of an infantry
smoke grenade fits inside each one.  They are electrically primed and
fired from inside the tank.  During peacetime operations they are not
typically armed.  The smoke is used for tactical engagements to obscure
the tank/IFV.  I don't think tear gas or other variants are available.

Non-motorized/mechanized infantry doesn't carry anything they they don't
absolutely have to (weapon, ammo, water, food, blankets, med pouches,
grenades, explosives, radios, mortar rounds, machine gun belts, etc).

Mechanized Infantry tends to hoard... ;)  My unit in Germany had all
kinds of stuff tucked away on our APC.  Extra rations, books, FMs,
AM/FM radios w/ cassetes players, cassetes, candy bars, etc

--
Brett W. Johnson
These opinions are mine and mine alone...

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (04/17/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

>From: Tony_Buckland@mtsg.ubc.ca
>4)  A civilian observer like me can be surprised at the
>amount of stuff attached to the outside of tanks.

The tubes are smoke grenade launchers (finally).

Since your combat vehicle is going to be "home" for a few days - you tend
to carry along with you a lot of "stuff".  Inside is pretty cramped with
operational gear - web gear, sidearms, radios, batteries, radio documents,
maps, other documents and manuals etc - outside, and in the bustle racks or
tied down all around are:

Rations for 3 days
Antenna sections
Breaker bars
Spare Track pads/shoes
Ammo cans (some full of ammo - some with weapons cleaning stuff)
Gas cans
Water cans
Canvas
Camouflage nets and supports
Slave Cables (like jumper cables)
Personal gear ("A" bag and "B" bag [I never let Trains take my "B" bag])
- 3 day's worth of underwear, socks, uniforms, shaving gear.
Tanker's Roll
The 'Tanker's Roll' is a neat little sleeping roll configuration
	-  tent half
	-  blanket
	-  air mattress (never inflated)
	-  sleeping bag
	-  poncho liner inside sleeping bag
	All snapped together, rolled up, and tied.  Great in all weather.

An observation:  If you remember seeing all the video of the troops
throughout the campaign - you saw very few 'sloppy' soldiers.  Most, if
not all, were clean-shaven (or only a days' growth), uniforms worn
properly (zipped, buttoned, snapped) - all with proper headgear on -
all wearing their LBE and carrying their weapons - and of special note:
no 'unmilitary' writing on their helmets nor extraneous items being
stuck in the helmet band - in a word:  DISCIPLINED SOLDIERS.

mike schmitt

	[ *Excellent* point!
	  By the way, what's in an A bag vs. a B bag? --CDR]

jjb@sequent.com (04/19/91)

From: jjb@sequent.com

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Most things which were shot at by cruise missiles were also designated to be
>bombed again by manned aircraft because planners didn't trust the cruise 100%
>(very difficult to get an after-action report from this first-generation
>missile :-).

The smiley at the end of this got me to thinking: what could you do to
get an on-the-spot target assessment from a cruise missile?  How about
carrying your own drone, equipped with a TV camera and UHF uplink?
Launch the drone, hit the target, drone can transmit the after-action
report.

Amateurs (me) usually seem to underestimate the important of intelligence
(or lack of same); witness the number of war games that feature complete
information (ie cardboard counters on map) but purport to be "simulations"
(hah).  Maybe the value of this information would justify the complexity/
expense of such a system?  Is there an easier way?  (I know, KH-1X pictures,
but this is not a good answer.  Coverage can't be guaranteed, clouds, etc).

PS, in a previous post I described the Tomahawk as having a "pulse jet
engine"...total nonsense, pulse jets are long obsolete.  Mea culpa.

--
Jeff Berkowitz N6QOM	  uunet!sequent!jjb | If you can't trust the comics,
Sequent Computer Systems  jjb@sequent.com   | what can you trust? -Bullwinkle

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (04/20/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)

jjb@sequent.com writes:
>>(very difficult to get an after-action report from this first-generation
>>missile :-).
>The smiley at the end of this got me to thinking: what could you do to
>get an on-the-spot target assessment from a cruise missile?  How about
>carrying your own drone, equipped with a TV camera and UHF uplink?
>Launch the drone, hit the target, drone can transmit the after-action
>report.

Naw, too much technology involved. You could either use the SLAM approach
(watch in real-time -- stereo requiring two missiles :) or just have the
missile kick out a little package containing a CCD TV camera, a burst
transmitter to send out the image(s) and a little balloon to raise the package
above tree-top level before snapping the target image. Have the thing do a slow
spin. Transmit a 360 degree picture, send it. Burn the camera.

Alternately, you could have a loitering UAV (Unmanned Air Vehicle) which could
flit from target to target, but the presence of the UAV might give warning
to untouched targets.

--
sysmgr@cadlab.eng.umd.edu

scott@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (04/23/91)

From: scott@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>>The smiley at the end of this got me to thinking: what could you do to
>>get an on-the-spot target assessment from a cruise missile?  How about
>>carrying your own drone, equipped with a TV camera and UHF uplink?
> Naw, too much technology involved.

Actually ... there are already at least concepts of smart cruise missiles
(as opposed to self guided).  These would actually carry a cluster of
rocket type weapons which fire out the side.  The missile would acquire
targets in some sort of visual fashion and open fire on them.  It would
loiter around the battlefield looking for targets and then would do the
recon itself.

I saw this in a magazine article somewhere (Air Force maybe?).  Anyone know
whether these ideas are under development?

Scott Silvey
scott@xcf.berkeley.edu

howard@uunet.UU.NET (Howard C. Berkowitz) (04/25/91)

From: cos!howard@uunet.UU.NET (Howard C. Berkowitz)

	[14 lines of unnecessary quoted text deleted --CDR]

There's an antiradiation weapon, I believe Tacit Rainbow, which has some
qualities of a brighter smart weapon.  This system is a slow, but long
endurance, drone that senses electromagnetic emissions.

On one of its orbits around the battlefield, if it detects an appropriate
transmitter, it will stop orbiting and dive into the transmitter.
You say you can counter this by turning off the radar?  :-) :-)

In any case, this system seems to be a very logical base for ELINT collection,
and certainly announcing that it is about to attack an emitter at
<coordinates> before it dives.

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass) (04/26/91)

From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass)

scott@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) writes:
>The missile would acquire
>targets in some sort of visual fashion and open fire on them.  It would
>loiter around the battlefield looking for targets and then would do the
>recon itself.
>Anyone know whether these ideas are under development?

Nova featured some kind of project like this during this season.  I
can't remember if it was military weapons or computer inteligence.
Anyway it showed a camera going over a model battlefield while the
software was trying to recognize targets.

Then I suddenly found the clicker in my hand and remembered a new
episode of Star Trek was on.  Does anyone remember the details of
this episode?

	[Wasn't that the one where Picard ... oops, sorry! :-)  --CDR]

--
Brian Douglass			brian@edat.uucp