[sci.military] Definition of a mil

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (04/24/91)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
<In general, angles in artillery are measured in "mils".  A "mil" is
<the angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.  (There are about 17
<mils per degree, and 6400 mils in a circle).

	NEVER!  A mil is NOT the angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.
It is, by definition, 1/6400th of a circle; that makes it very close to the
angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.  The army does not yet have
sufficient statutary authority to change the value of pi.

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DA, the DOD, or the US Government

vvirrankoski@cc.helsinki.fi (04/29/91)

From: vvirrankoski@cc.helsinki.fi

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) writes:
> emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
> <In general, angles in artillery are measured in "mils".  A "mil" is
> <the angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.  (There are about 17
> <mils per degree, and 6400 mils in a circle).
>
> 	NEVER!  A mil is NOT the angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.
> It is, by definition, 1/6400th of a circle; that makes it very close to the
> angle subtended by 1 meter at 1000 meters.  The army does not yet have
> sufficient statutary authority to change the value of pi.

In fact, both of You are right. As definition, mil is the angle subtended
by 1 meter at 1000 meters. That would mean that in the circle there would
be about 6283 mils (and 1 mil is about 3.6').
But in practical reasons it has been defined that circle is more round
number, that differs in different countries and history.
The most usual is circle = 6400 mils but in the Finnish Armed Forces
and in the cross-country track finding they use circle = 6000 mils
and in the Swedish Army circle is 6300 mils.
I'm not sure about the last fact, becouse my information is quite old.