[sci.military] Italian Tanks and Japanese Tanks

rblack@smcnet.smc.edu (Russ Black, Media Center) (04/24/91)

From: rblack@smcnet.smc.edu (Russ Black, Media Center)

If you look at current affairs at the time the Italian tanks were being
manufactured it is not much different from the Japanese.  Their design
was in direct correlation to who they were fighting at the time.  The
people they were fighting in the 20's and 30's weren't the most
advanced army in the world (Italians).  Nobody though they would fight
all of Europe and the United States.

Most of the fighting the Japanese did was against light armour in China
(French Tanks) and light defenses.  Their armour and the fact that they
were defeating their enemy left and right didn't help advance their
technology.  Only later in the war did they develop larger caliber guns
and heavier tanks to meet Allied armour.  They never got to use them
because the war ended.

Italian armour suffered much the same fate.  As a matter of fact, the
army as a whole suffered from such a fate.  They weren't built up
enough to sustain heavy losses.  There equipment wasn't geared to
total war.  The only thing they has that was execellent and had
sufficent replacement was their air force.

Since they (Italians) surrendered in 1943 they didn't have the time to
field newer armour.  Japan was able to field better pieces of existing
armour but, their Navy was getting sunk.  Japanese officals even stated
at the war trials that they weren't  geared into total war until 1943.
But, they were better geared to replace equipment and sustain losses.

smpod@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov (04/25/91)

From: smpod@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov

	[Please don't use alternative quotemarks instead of ">",
	 it makes extra work for me.  Thanks.  --CDR]

rblack@smcnet.smc.edu (Russ Black, Media Center) writes...
>Italian armour suffered much the same fate.  As a matter of fact, the
>army as a whole suffered from such a fate.

The Italian artillery was comparatively excellent and performed very
well alongside the Afrika Korp.

>The only thing they has that was execellent and had
>sufficent replacement was their air force.

The Italian navy ships were superb designs but led by mediocre commanders
and/or insufficiently protected by the Axis airforces.

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (04/30/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)

smpod@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>The Italian artillery was comparatively excellent and performed very
>well alongside the Afrika Korp.

A point well made.  While the morale of Italian infantry was, well,
shakey at best, Italian gunners were known for sticking with their guns
to the very last.  My guess would be that the extra training given
these troops made the difference.

As for the quality of Italian guns... most of it seems to have been
old and/or second-rate, but second-rate WWII artillery wasn't much worse
than the latest equipment.  Every army brought WWI-vintage (or older!)
pieces into the war, and artillery simply didn't develop that much
during the first half of this century, when compared to tanks, ships,
aircraft, and even small arms.

More important would be their artillery fire control, about which I know
virtually nothing.  Can anyone compare them to the other combattants in
this regard ?

--
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com