[sci.military] Air reconnaissance in the gulf

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (04/29/91)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

The AP has reported that U-2 and TR-1 reconnaissance planes were used --
and are still being used -- in the Persian Gulf area to keep tabs on
Iraqi troops.  They've very reluctant to say anything on the subject --
in fact, they're only reluctantly confirming anything now.  But
reporters saw the planes taking off from a Saudi airbase during the
war; they were, however, barred from saying anything at all at the time.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)
>reporters saw [U-2s etc] taking off from a Saudi airbase during the
>war; they were, however, barred from saying anything at all at the time.

This is nothing new.  I recall reading an account by Roy Braybrook, I think
it was, in which he mentioned a visit to an unnamed country -- my guess
would be Israel -- and a tour of a local airbase.  In the course of said
tour, he noticed an SR-71 sitting on a remote taxiway.  He asked his guide
"what's *that* doing here?".  The response:  "what's what doing here?".
"That aircraft over there."  "I don't see any aircraft over there... and
I suggest that you don't, either."
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

mullermb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Muller) (05/02/91)

From: mullermb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Muller)

When my brother returned from Saudi (he is Air Force, and was based in
Jedda, working at a hospital there), I asked him what interesting
things he saw there.  He replied that he saw a SR-71 fly over more than once.

    Mark Muller                  Undergraduate at Purdue University
    muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu     Aeronautics & Astronautics Engineering
 or mullermb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu