[sci.military] Barrage Balloons

leipold@uunet.UU.NET (Walt Leipold) (03/14/91)

From: eplrx7!leipold@uunet.UU.NET (Walt Leipold)
During and after the Blitz, the British seemed to use a *lot* of barrage
balloons around 'important' targets.  However, all I've ever found out
about these things is that they existed.  How were they supposed to
work?  *Did* they  work, or were they just fashionable?  Is there a
"Janes' Barrage Balloons of the World" to which I can turn for details
on this sadly-neglected topic in the history of defensive weaponry?  Or
is it so simple that somebody can summarize via e-mail?

Thanks!

"I was married by a judge.                                    Walt Leipold
I should have asked for a jury."                (leipolw%esvax@dupont.com)

BXR307@CSC.ANU.EDU.AU (03/20/91)

From:    BXR307@CSC.ANU.EDU.AU

In article <1991Mar14.033600.24004@cbnews.att.com>, eplrx7!leipold@uunet.UU.NET

> During and after the Blitz, the British seemed to use a *lot* of barrage
> balloons around 'important' targets.  However, all I've ever found out
> about these things is that they existed.  How were they supposed to
> work?  *Did* they  work, or were they just fashionable?  Is there a
> "Janes' Barrage Balloons of the World" to which I can turn for details
> on this sadly-neglected topic in the history of defensive weaponry?  Or
> is it so simple that somebody can summarize via e-mail?

        Barrage balloons have largely gone out of fashion, being considered too
expensive (requiring too much manpower and support equipment [ie Hydogen/Helium
generating plant, etc]) when compared to more "modern" active defensive items
like SAM's.
        However one company in the UK believes that their time has come again.
Wallop Systems Pty.Ltd. believes that their use would be valauble in deterring
attacking on targets like airfields.  They have designed the Rampart defensive
system.  Its key elements are a passive solar powered firing station which can
contain up to nine rocket decoys (a mix of infra-red or chaff) and nine smoke
rounds as well as three "Skysnare" obstructions (basically tethered kite
balloons).
        Rapid or slow burning black or white smoke (I would also presume
infra-red reflective as well) is available to give both immediate area coverage
and sustained coverage thereafter.  The "Skysnare" system consists of a
balloon, 1000 metres of strong line, case, ground anchor, a gas cylinder and
pyotechnic inflation and release.  It is at continious readiness and can be
fully deployed within two minutes by radio signal.
        The system has been enhanced through the addition of a Large Area Smoke
Screening system (LASS) which is fully automatic and in response to commands
from the Rampart control unit, will generate smoke to counter visual and
infra-red sensors for up to 90 minutes.
        It is apparently in use, according to Janes, in one Middle Eastern
country.  It would be IMO a particurally cheap and effective means of hindering
attack by fast aircraft.  Not only would it obscure the target, they would be
in danger of colliding with a wire and loosing a wing or other appendage.  It
would also be an effective method of preventing cruise missiles if you knew
their likely approach paths.

--
Brian Ross

        "If we got it so wrong in the Middle East yesterday, what makes
you think we are going to get it right this time?"

        Arthur Schlesinger

[End of file]

rml@midnight.MV.COM (Roger M. Levasseur) (05/02/91)

From: rml@midnight.MV.COM (Roger M. Levasseur)

Here are some numbers I have found regarding barrage balloons in WWII.

[ Don't use From as the first word in a paragraph! --CDR]

[F]rom a sidebar in "The Aeronauts" (The Epic of Flight series), pg 102

	In the first 18 months of the War - Through the peak
	of the Blitz - 102 planes collided with balloon cables over
	Britain, causing 66 confirmed crashes or forced landings.
	[the balloons] ranged up to 20,000 feet.

-roger