[sci.military] Military-surplus abbreviations

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (04/25/91)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>

I noticed these acronyms/abbreviations in an ad for US military surplus
uniform items, and cannot figure out what they mean. On some, I have
a guess or partial explanation, which may well be wrong. The ad
identifies the items as to vintage, so I've given that. Can anyone
explain these to me?

(Please e-mail and I'll consolidate a posted summary.) [ <<< YES! -CDR]

Vietnam-era:

ERDL trousers

FPBA vest ("Flak Protective B? A?" maybe?)

WW-II era:

JQMD Khaki 2-magazine pouches for M1 Carbine ("J? Quartermaster Depot M?"
      maybe; could it be "Japan-Quartermaster-Depot-Manufactured" made
      in occupied Japan or something like that? or is "J" "Joint"?)

There's also a "JQMD 1949 Canteen Cup", which is why I thought of
      occupied Japan.

Helmet liners with khaki HBT suspension and "HBT 3-pocket dungaree
      jacket" ("HBT" in these two contexts might refer to the fabric,
      but I have no real idea.)

Korean-War era:

JOMD 1950-dated belt pouch for 4 30-rd M1 Carbine magazines (Maybe
      "JOMD" is a typo for the "JQMD" mentioned above?)

Thanks for any explanations!

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods) (05/03/91)

From: "Stephen C. Woods" <scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>

(Couldn't mail direct to Will Martin -scw)
>Vietnam-era:
>FPBA vest ("Flak Protective B? A?" maybe?)

Fragment Protecting Body Armor

    I remember the little warning message to the effect that:

    ...this body armor will NOT stop all Small-arms fire...

One of the great understatments of the 20th century.

WW-II era:
>Helmet liners with khaki HBT suspension and "HBT 3-pocket dungaree
>      jacket" ("HBT" in these two contexts might refer to the fabric,
>      but I have no real idea.)

Right, HBT is Herring Bone Tweed, so called because when examining the fabric
there appear to be diagonal stripes arranged in rows (the rows run up/down the
farbic, like so (you have to turn your screen on its side).

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//////////////////////////////////////

Having herring bone utilities was considered 'very salty' in the early-mid
1960's Marine corps (HBT stopped being issued in the mid-late 50s) much
like still having a plain (non cammo) utility cap is now, if they were
very faded they were even saltier.  Wearing 'out of date' uniforms
indicates that you've been around for a while (over a lot of ocean, hence
'salty'), and are therefore someone of importance (in a peer to peer way)
this is much more important in a peace-time environment than in war time.

"I've worn out more seabags than you have socks".

"I've got more <F>ing time <something improbable and often obscene> than
you have in the whole <F>ing Corps".

--
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw  Internet:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU