[sci.military] Soviet submarine names

bash@ihlpb.att.com (Thomas W Basham) (04/30/91)

From: bash@ihlpb.att.com (Thomas W Basham)

The developers for the computer version of the HARPOON game are
looking for some information.  The game is designed with a modular
approach, with different modules (covering different regions of
the world) being released on a semi-regular schedule.

Right now, they're working on Indian Ocean set and they're looking for
the names of Soviet subs in the following classes:

	- Sierra
	- Alpha
	- Victor (II and III)
	- Kilo
	- Tango
	- Oscar

Specifically, they'd like names of subs usually assigned to this region,
but any names will be better than no names.  Also, if anyone knows for
a fact that one (or more) of the above classes do not operate in this
region, that would be useful information, also.

While most books on world navies list ship names, it's been hard to find
one that lists names for Soviet subs.  If anybody would happen to know
this information, or could give me a book title, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Please respond with e-mail and I can post a summary.

Thanks in advance...

--
Tom Basham      AT&T Bell Laboratories
bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM   I'm the NRA.  I also vote.

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/01/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>While most books on world navies list ship names, it's been hard to find
>one that lists names for Soviet subs.  If anybody would happen to know
>this information, or could give me a book title, it would be greatly
>appreciated.  Please respond with e-mail and I can post a summary.

I found a book, "Soviet Submarines, Design, Development and Tatics",
by Jan Breemer, Jane's Information Group Limited.  I searched for the
names for the Soviet subs but couldn't find much information. All I
learned is that the Soviet subs before the Russian Revolution (Tsarist
era) did have names; after the revolution they were changed with Bolshevik
names.

Some examples:

	Tsarist Name	Soviet Name
	------------	--------------------------------
	Volk		Batrak (farm laborer)
	Pantera		Kommissar
	Tur		Toarishch
	Leopard		Krasnoarmeyetz (Red Army trooper)
	Zmeya		Proletary
	Tigr		Kommunar
	Ryss		Bolshevik
	Yorsh		Rabochy (Worker)
	Yaguar		Krasnoflotyetz (Red Navy sailor)
	Kuguar		Bednyak (poor peasant)

These were the names of the early (1910-20's) Soviet submarines.

I could not find out if the Russians did stop naming their submarines,
or what.

Steve Williams

wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick) (05/04/91)

From: wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick)

I was flipping through the latest copy of the Armed Forces Journal and
found a little article on this subject which indicated that a recent
nuclear attack boat was launched in Severodvinsk, and the release to
the local press indicated that it had been named the "Pantera", which
translates to Panther (note a recent post by Steve Williams had this
name listed for an older generation boat).  The boat was listed as being
an Oscar.

Bob Wunderlick